Chapter 10

It had been a moon or so since Thymekit's incident, and Lemonkit had spent her days in the elders' den with Bluefur, Thymekit's sign language teacher. Lemonkit fully understood Thymekit's signs now, and she could talk to him easily. She only hoped that one day he would speak again.

            As for Frostflight, her kits were due any day now, and Lemonkit couldn't wait for more playmates in the nursery. She knew Frostflight would spend less time with her though. It didn't matter though. It wasn't like Frostflight was her mother anyway.

            Lemonkit awoke early to head to the elders' den with Thymekit. He was in a pleasant mood, and he smiled at Lemonkit as they padded into the den.

            The dark gray she-cat sat in the den, her green eyes lighting up as she saw the two. "Thymekit, Lemonkit, it's good to see you," Bluefur purred.

            Thymekit nodded, sitting down beside Lemonkit.

            "What will we learn today?" Lemonkit asked.

            "I'll be teaching Thymekit animals," Bluefur explained. "Now, Thymekit," she began. "Let's review the words you learned yesterday. Water."

            Lemonkit watched as Thymekit swished his tail back and forth.

            "Good," Bluefur told him. "How about sun?"

            Lemonkit watched as Thymekit moved his paw around in a circular motion.

            "Very good. We'll go to animals then," she explained. She began to move her paw back and forth quickly. "This means mouse," she explained.

            Lemonkit watched as Thymekit practiced. She was thrilled he could learn these words so easily.

            As they continued to practice with other animals, Lemonkit eventually spoke. "How did you learn, Bluefur?"

            Bluefur purred. "My brother was born mute, and for my moons, my parents looked for a cure or some way to allow him to speak. One day, we were walking in the woods when they found an old tom. He was a rogue, and at first, I was afraid of him. My mother asked if he knew how to cure an inability to speak. He only laughed and explained that there was no cure to allow a cat to talk. My entire family was disappointed, but the tom didn't stop talking. He explained that his mother had created a system of sign language for her sister. He continued to teach us, and eventually, I learned myself. I never knew I'd have to teach someone someday."

            "It's very lucky you found that cat," Lemonkit told Bluefur.

            Thymekit let out a nod.

            "Very lucky indeed. I'm thrilled to be teaching you and Thymekit. Now, let's continue practicing."

            For awhile longer, Lemonkit watched as Thymekit practiced, and she memorized the movements for herself. As the day began to continue, Lemonkit watched as Thymekit rubbed his paw across his stomach.

            "You're hungry," Lemonkit interpreted. "I can get us some prey. What would you like?"

            Thymekit shrugged, and Lemonkit padded out of the den, grabbing a mouse for them to share. As she grabbed it, she looked up, noticing Raspberrykit.

            "You didn't tell me you were practicing," she argued.

            "I'm sorry, Raspberrykit. You were sleeping. I'll teach you guys later, okay?"