Chapter 37

"Get up, Salmon!" Oak called from the den she slept in. She lazily opened her eyes, finding the sun was only just beginning to rise. The others were asleep, and Salmon stood up, yawning as she followed her father outside.

            "Why are you waking me up so early?" she asked.

            "Have you forgotten today is your last day of training?" he asked.

            Salmon paused, memories flooding back to her. Of course! How had she forgotten? Today she would be completing her training and would be declared an official member of the tribe and future heir...if she beat her father in the evening in a duel.

            But for now, it was only morning, and she assumed they'd just be reviewing some poses.

            "What are we doing right now?" she asked, grabbing a rabbit from the pile of kill that sat near the dens.

            "You are to catch prey in this time," Oak explained. "It's part of your end of training test."

            "You mean we won't be reviewing battle moves or anything?" Salmon asked, taking a bite of rabbit.

            "You have already learned battle moves, and you will show them to me tonight. But for now, you must catch prey to show you understand the importance of hunting and providing for the tribe," Oak explained.

            Salmon nodded. It was customary, of course, for a young cat to show both their hunting and battle moves their last day. Hunting would not be a problem as most cats were used to catching prey by now. Beating her father, however, was different.

            Young cats were required to challenge their mentors who had been training them. If they succeeded in beating them, they were allowed to continue training. If not, they were shamed, thrown out. Only the strongest were to survive.

            But for Salmon, this meant much more than being kicked out of the tribe. Beating her father kept her place, but it also confirmed she would be the true heir to her father. Watching the supposed heir battle the leader was always spoken of as a spectacle.

            And this evening, at sunset preferably, cats would be gathered to watch this spectacle unfold and see if Salmon really would take Oak's place someday.

            "You have all morning to hunt," Oak explained as Salmon took her last bite of rabbit. "We will come back for a meal. You may rest, or practice, until sunset. Then, the duel takes place."

            Salmon nodded, following Oak into the woods. She could hear Mouse, Honey, and Storm in the distance. They had recently become full members themselves a few days earlier.

            Cats had gasped as Storm beat his mentor in all of a few minutes. Salmon hadn't even watched, fleeing to the den after watching Mouse and Honey succeed. The last thing she needed was the tom to brag more about himself. She was still mad about him cheating during practice.

            She followed Oak farther into the forest, stopping at a large oak tree.

            "When the sun's rays are fully shining on this tree, the hunting session is over," Oak explained. "Are you ready?"

            Salmon nodded.

            "Then go!" Oak roared.

            Salmon wished he hadn't shouted. He'd probably scared off all the prey. Either way, it was the beginning of leaf-fall now, and prey would not be as plentiful as she hoped.