Chapter 33

With only two months left until she was declared a full member of the tribe, Salmon awoke with excitement, prepared for another day training with her father.

            In her months of training, she had worked hard with her father, learning valuable fighting and hunting skills. Her father had become amazed with her ability to quickly adapt to new styles of hunting and fighting, and often he praised her and let her know what a great leader she would become. Salmon would smile and work harder, glad to be pleasing her father and hoping her mother was proud of her too.

            The sun was just rising above the hill when Salmon crept out of the den. She quickly made her way further into the woods where the cherry blossom tree sat, along with the resting body of her mother.

            With spring's arrival, blossoms had finally begun to bloom. Pink flowers grew from pale branches, and each day, Salmon continued visiting the tree, watching as it continued to bloom and grow, reminding her faintly of her mother's beauty.

            It was hard to remember her mother since she had died when Salmon was young. Yet still, Salmon remembered her gentle lick and purr, her soft voice and caring words. Why was it that she had to die so soon?

            Salmon approached the tree, sitting down across from it. The sun had just begun to lift above the hill, its golden rays shining on the pale pink blossoms that sprouted from the branches. Salmon watched in amazement as the pink flowers shone brightly in the sunlight.

            "Mother, I don't know if you can hear me," Salmon admitted. "I mean, I've heard that some cats have spoken from their natural names. They're kit tales, of course. I don't mean to doubt what we believe. Oh, what I'm saying is, I've missed you, and I hope you've continued to watch over me. Your blossoms have nearly bloomed completely. Soon, this tree will be a beauty for all. I miss you, Mommy. I hope you're proud of me."

            With those words, Salmon hung her head down and sat in silence a few moments, as if she could feel her mother's spirit passing onto her. Of course, no words were spoken, and the tree only swayed in the light wind. Salmon knew she was stupid for believing in kit's tales. If only her mother had explained those last words to her.

            The last words. Salmon had seemingly forgotten them over the months. While memories of her mother faded, she realized she had not forgotten the haunting words her mother had spoken to her.

            You are not the kit everyone thinks you are, the words repeated. Salmon shuddered and decided to forget the sentence, retreating back to the dens in silence.

            She found her father waiting patiently by a large pine tree, grinning at Salmon.

            "How is the tree looking?" he asked Salmon.

            Salmon grinned, then nodded, not wishing to explain anymore. She knew Oak would occasionally visit his past-mate's tree, but he did not often. Cherry Blossom's death had taken a toll on him, she remembered. She had fond memories of Oak as strong and gentle. Now, he seemed years older with a graying muzzle and old eyes. Her death had aged him. As for Salmon, it seemed to allow her to grow stronger.

            "What's the plan for today?" Salmon asked, chewing a mouse that Oak had saved for her.

            "You're fighting against the others today," Oak explained.

            Salmon nodded, knowing this was a common practice. Honey and Mouse often practiced with each other, Salmon conquering them most of the time, even though she was smaller than them.