Chapter 21

Salmon awoke with excitement, her paws tingling. As she glanced around the old nursing den, she knew today was her last day in this den. Today, she'd be going on her hunt in order to train as a hunter and fighter. If she succeeded, she would be leader. She knew she could.

            The sun was just beginning to rise above the horizon, golden lights shining on the clearing where the other cats rested. Salmon quickly stretched, padding outside of the small den. Her mother would guide her, she was sure of that.

            Salmon had been visiting the cherry blossom tree for awhile, hoping soon that it would bloom. For now though, it was bare and coated in snow. In the spring, she'd be able to speak to her mother. When those cherry blossoms bloomed, Salmon would see only her mother.

            Today, she knew Cherry Blossom would be with her. Salmon promised to catch the biggest piece of prey in the woods. Then, she'd take that to her father. That would show him that she was leader material.

            As she padded outside, she watched as Storm padded by, glaring at her.

            "What's the matter, Storm? Jealous I'm going on my hunt today?" Salmon snapped.

            The gray tom froze and turned towards her. "Jealous?" he laughed. "Never. It'll be incredibly hard to find prey in this weather," he said, his paws sinking in a fresh layer of snow. "My sisters and I had to hunt in the fall, when prey was still plentiful. As for you, you're lucky if you find a mouse."

            Salmon growled at the tom. "I'll prove to you I can find prey in this weather! When I come back with a  plump squirrel, everyone will see I'm leader material."

            "I hope you don't freeze to death first," he laughed. "You're practically doomed."

            "Run back to your stupid den!" Salmon hissed.

            A tail on Salmon's shoulder made her jump. She turned, noticing her father. He stood in the sunlight, his dark brown pelt standing out in the white snow.

            "Are you ready?" he asked.

            "Yes, Father," she explained, glaring at Storm as she walked away. She padded with her father towards the center of the clearing. The other cats gathered excitedly, awaiting Oak's announcement.

            The tom stood tall and proud, and Salmon supposed she should take a few tips from him. She held out her chest and stood tall as well, causing some of the other cats to laugh.

            "Now, now!" Oak called, waiting for the cats to quiet down. When their voices were no longer audible, he began to speak.

            "As you know, my daughter has reached six months today, which means she is eligible to train as one of us. But first, Salmon must prove herself in a test of strength and intelligence. To prove that she is tribe material, she must first catch a piece of prey and bring it back to us. If she returns successfully, she'll be able to train. If not, she will be exiled."

            "Salmon," Oak said, now turning to his daughter. "Do you accept this challenge?"

            "Yes, Father, I do," she replied.

            "Then, I command you to go into the woods and bring the first piece of prey you find!" he shouted.

            Salmon nodded, glancing back at the cats one last time. She took a deep breath in as she faced the snowy woods. She could do this. She would do this. For her mother.