Chapter 16

Nothing excited Lifekit more than the first snowfall of leaf-bare. She sat in the nursery with the other kits, watching as the white substance floated down from the sky and settled on the ground, creating a perfect white blanket.

            Lifekit had never seen snow before, and it seemed as if this moment was the most special in her life. Sure, she'd heard Mousestripe and her father talk about snow, though they hadn't sounded as amazed as her.

            Her mother was in those snowflakes, Lifekit was sure. Just the way they touched the ground so graciously made her think of her mother, dancing in the snowflakes, perhaps. Though Lifekit had never known her, she had heard stories from other cats about how strong and lovable her mother was.

            "I wish you'd stayed around," Lifekit would whimper.

            "Lifekit, do you want to play?" a familiar mew came.

            Lifekit turned, spotting Goosekit behind her. The silver-blue tom let out a smile, his blue eyes sparkling.

            Recently, Lifekit had spent her time playing with Goosekit and his siblings, though she tended to play with the tom the most. She wasn't sure why, but she was attracted to him. She supposed she was from the moment she saw him.

            "Sure," she purred.

            With new playmates, Lifekit didn't spend as much time wandering around the camp looking for her father. Yes, she would go about with Stormnight and Graytail from time to time, and Mousestripe too, though not as much as she had in the past. Lifekit knew her father was glad she had finally made some friends of her own.

            Lifekit followed Goosekit over to where Marshkit and Ripplekit stood. The brother and sister were tossing a mossball back and forth at each other, though their eyes lit up as they saw Lifekit make her way towards them.

            "Lifekit's going to play with us!" Ripplekit cheered.

            The kits were about four moons younger than Lifekit, though she was careful with them, and they made great playmates. Not being that big herself, she didn't tower over the three kits too much.

            Lifekit watched as Marshkit ran up to her, a wide grin on his face. "Did you know our father is going to be leader soon?" he asked, referring to Pinethorn, the deputy.

            Lifekit giggled. "I know. But Thornstar just became leader. It'll be awhile before we start calling Pinethorn 'Pinestar.'"

            "Oh, ignore their boasting," said Blueocean. She sat in the corner of the den, smiling. "They just want their father to assign them deputy."

            "Because I'll be the best deputy ever!" Marshkit shouted.

            "Don't be silly," Ripplekit teased. "You know I'll be assigned leader."

            "Maybe I will," Lifekit chimed in.

            This shut the two up. They turned and looked at Lifekit before bickering again. Lifekit turned to Goosekit who stood laughing.

            "What do you want to play?" Lifekit asked.

            Goosekit pondered for a moment. "Why not go out into the snow?"

            "Absolutely not!" Blueocean shouted.

            Lifekit watched as Goosekit shrunk down.