Chapter 5

Salmon watched her mother's tail flick back and forth inside the birthing den. As it came down once more, she leapt, clawing at the tail.

Her mother laughed a charming laugh, moving her tail away.

"I'd say she's already a natural born hunter," Berry, the healer, spoke.

Salmon looked at her mother and the cream she-cat, noticing how tall they were.

When I'm leader, she thought, I'll be the best tribe cat there ever was!

Salmon smiled as her father, Oak, padded into the den. "Good morning, dear," he said to Cherry Blossom. He then turned to Salmon.

"And good morning to my beautiful daughter!" he exclaimed.

"Good morning, Daddy!" Salmon giggled, running to the large brown tabby tom.

"She's as energetic as you once were," Oak told Cherry Blossom.

Salmon watched Cherry Blossom weakly smile. Did she not think Salmon was like her?

"She's a blessing," Cherry Blossom said. "And she'll be the next leader," she purred.

"If you don't give birth to any toms she will," Oak said.

Salmon froze. No, she didn't want any siblings, especially brothers. If she had a brother, he'd be the leader, not her.

"No, Daddy! I want to be leader!" Salmon begged.

"Salmon, don't you worry," Cherry Blossom told her. "Prove you're a strong fighter and hunter, and Oak will be bound to let you lead," she whispered.

"It's no fair a she-cat gets to lead," Storm, an older kit, complained. His mother, a gray tabby she-cat, swiped a tail over his mouth.

"Storm, you don't speak like that!" she spat. "Be more courteous like your sisters," she told him.

"When will there be more toms in the birth den?" Storm complained.

Salmon rolled her eyes. The tom was annoying as ever. She would be glad when he left the den.

"Salmon, it's time for your check-up," Cherry Blossom called.

Salmon raced towards her mother, and she stood up straight as Berry inspected her.

"She's perfect and healthy, Cherry Blossom, just a bit small, that's all. She'll grow though," Berry told her.

"Thank goodness," Cherry Blossom said, letting out a cough.

Salmon had noticed her mother coughing a bit more than usual. At times, she'd go into coughing fits.

"Cherry Blossom, I really think you should let me check out that throat of yours," Berry told her.

"It's fine," she said, still coughing. "It's probably just a sickness after giving birth."

"Salmon is two weeks old, Cherry Blossom. It would have already passed. I insist, please come to my den," Berry begged her.

"No, I'm fine!" she spat. "Leave me be!"

"I don't want you passing a disease onto your daughter," Berry said.

"Later. I am busy right now," Cherry Blossom said.

Salmon looked at her mother with concern. Wasn't she supposed to follow Berry's orders? Berry was the healer, after all.

Salmon raced to her father, crouching down ready to play. Her father, however, did not move.

"I'm sorry, Salmon, but I've got to tend to the other cats right now. We'll play later, okay?"

"Okay, Daddy," Salmon sighed, watching as her father padded away. She turned to her mother, padding over to her.

"Don't you pay any attention to your father. He's stubborn, and he thinks the tribe always needs him."

"Will you play with me, Mommy?" Salmon asked, resting her paws on her mother's flank.

"Not now, darling. I'm tired. Later, I promise," she said, gently licking Salmon's cheek.

Salmon gagged as the tongue rasped across her face, and she raced off to Rain's litter.

Storm sat near the corner of the den while Honey and Mouse played together.

"Hi," Salmon squeaked.

She watched as Mouse's face lifted into a smile. "Hi, Salmon. Want to play?" Mouse asked.

Salmon nodded. "I've been wanting to play all day!" she exclaimed, relieved to finally find a playmate.

Together, Mouse, Honey, and Salmon wrestled, and Salmon was glad to have some friends in the nursery.

"Mouse and Honey, you're almost ready to go on your first hunt and you're still playing kit games," Storm spoke.

"Oh, be quiet," Honey snapped. "Who gave you rotten prey?"

"You're no fun, Storm," Salmon told him.

"Whatever," he said, heading back over to his mother.

Moments later, Rain took her litter outside, leaving Salmon alone in the den.

"Mommy, Mommy," Salmon said, pushing her mother.

She watched as Cherry Blossom opened one eye. "What is it, darling?"

"Can we play now?" Salmon asked.

Cherry Blossom sighed, then yawned. "I suppose," she said, standing up. She moved around a little.

"Are you okay?" Salmon asked.

"Just a bit tired, that's all. Now what do you want to play?" she asked.

Before Salmon could answer, she knew something was wrong with her mother. She was terribly unbalanced, and she looked tired as ever. Salmon was about to tell her they didn't have to play when Cherry Blossom suddenly collapsed on the floor.

"MOMMY! MOMMY!" she gasped, shaking her mother. Cherry Blossom didn't move though.

"BERRY! HELP!" Salmon gasped.

Berry rushed into the den, followed by Oak. He rushed past Salmon, running to his mate's side.

"Into the den now!" Berry instructed. "I'm afraid she's come down with the winter plague."

They took Cherry Blossom out of the den. Salmon followed behind, only to be instructed to stay in the den by her father.

"Mommy," Salmon whimpered, praying her mother would be okay.