Chapter 34

"Lemonpaw, it's time to go!" called Firelight from the edge of camp.

            Lemonpaw sat at the fresh-kill pile with Raspberrypaw and Thymepaw, licking the last bit of the mouse she had eaten.

            "I'll see you two later," she called.

            "Have fun!" Raspberrypaw called as she ran off, Thymepaw waved his tail beside her, making Lemonpaw's heart warm.

            Firelight's mood had shifted the past moon, his grouchy and serious tone turning into more of a lighthearted and caring smile. Lemonpaw had heard rumors and stories of Firelight before the death of his sister and mate. Why, she'd heard Appleclaw chat all day about how he used to smile like there were no worries in the world.

            But Lemonpaw knew what was up. Instead of watching Firelight sulk around all day, she noticed he took a large craving towards hanging out with Snowdrop, a beautiful white she-cat Lemonpaw had often seen wandering around camp.

            It was no doubt the two were falling in love, and to be honest, Lemonpaw was happy for Firelight. He didn't seem to screech as her that much anymore or growl around her. He was so preoccupied thinking of Snowdrop that it was as if anger had left his body altogether.

            "So what's the plan for today?" Lemonpaw asked, padding alongside Firelight.

            "We're meeting up with Snowdrop and Koipaw for some training," Firelight explained.

            "Snowdrop and Koipaw? We've never practiced with them before. How did you make that decision?" Lemonpaw asked, teasing him.

            "I just decided that," Firelight replied, looking away. She could see his lips still curl into a smile though.

            "Why don't you just ask her to be mates already?" Lemonpaw asked, shoving her mentor.

            "My personal business is not yours," Firelight snapped. It was the same old Firelight all over again.

            Lemonpaw was persistent though. "She obviously likes you. Are you too shy?"

            "I should ask the same about you," Firelight replied, refusing to make eye contact with her.

            "What does that mean?" Lemonpaw questioned.

            "You and Thymepaw?"

            Lemonpaw froze, not realizing he was able to pick up on her personal life too. "Th-that's not what it is," she argued.

            Firelight laughed. "As if. It's obvious how you feel about him. Now, how about we get to some training?"

            Lemonpaw growled, though she knew Firelight was right. She'd realized she'd loved Thymepaw for quite awhile now, yet she was too scared to mention anything too him. She supposed she was frightened of rejection.

            As they came towards a clearing in the forest, Lemonpaw could make out Snowdrop and Koipaw already waiting for them. Lemonpaw hadn't spoken to Snowdrop that much, but she knew she was kind. As for Koipaw, Lemonpaw wasn't exactly looking forward to a day of training with the annoying she-cat.

            "Good morning," Firelight called as he and Lemonpaw approached.

            "Good morning, Firelight," Snowdrop purred. She turned her attention to Lemonpaw, her bright pink nose causing Lemonpaw's eyes to widen.