Chapter 28

Lifepaw's eyes sprang open early in the morning, when most of the cats weren't up yet. She couldn't help but feel excitement flood through her paws. Today, Goosekit and Marshkit would become apprentices, and Ripplekit, a medicine cat apprentice.

            She had been waiting so long for them to join her in the medicine cat den, and now, the day was finally here.

            Quietly, she walked across bodies of sleeping cats, padding outside into the warm air. With new-leaf officially taking its toll on the clan, warmth had spread, the snow fully gone. She knew it would not snow again until she was a warrior, which made her even more excited.

            "Pst, Lifepaw," came a quiet whisper.

            Lifepaw turned, noticing Mousestripe sitting near the warriors den. Her spotted tail was curled around her feet, and she let out a grin.

            "Hey," Lifepaw whispered back.

            Mousestripe padded over towards her, near the fresh-kill pile. A few cats were up, doing patrol, eating some breakfast, but most were still asleep.

            "You're up early," she observed.

            Lifepaw nodded vigorously. "My friends are becoming apprentices today. I couldn't sleep."

            "It seems you're more excited than them. I bet they're still asleep," Mousestripe noted, laughing.

            "What are you doing up so early?" Lifepaw asked.

            "Well, when you get to be an old she-cat, you seem to wake up more," Mousestripe explained.

            "Mousestripe! You're not old!" Lifepaw exclaimed.

            "Hush!" Mousestripe hissed, quieting her down. "It's all right, Lifepaw. You can admit it. I'm not the young she-cat I used to be, but I can still certainly get around well. Why, Patchfur's parents are both elders. You don't see me in that den."

            "About that..." Lifepaw began, wanting to ask more about Patchfur's siblings and family. She had not mentioned to her father that she was unaware her mentor was his sister.

            "Oh, I see Thornstar!" Mousestripe spoke. "I'll see you at the ceremony, Lifepaw."

            Lifepaw nodded slowly, watching as she padded off. Lifepaw sighed, turning over dirt on the ground. She knew she would no longer feel lonely anymore. During the past moon or so, she'd been practicing hard, but she hadn't been able to really bond with any apprentices. At least her friends would be joining her.

            The sun had slowly begun to rise now, cats stirring. Lifepaw grabbed a small mouse from the fresh-kill pile. She was too excited to eat, really. Her friends were becoming apprentices!

            Hearing frantic footsteps, she turned around, watching Tinypelt pad towards her with concern.

            "You're up early, I see," Tinypelt murmured.

            "Yes."

            "You must be very excited for training today," she observed, laughing.

            "Well, I wouldn't say that..." Lifepaw laughed. "My friends are becoming apprentices today."

            "Oh, Blueocean's kits? Lovely little three. Pinethorn will be really proud. I didn't realize you'd be so excited for a ceremony. You can just meet me after their ceremony, then. I was hoping we'd leave right as the clan shouted their names, but I understand it must mean a lot to you," Tinypelt purred.