Chapter 58

Lemonfur sat in Ambershine's den, watching awkwardly as the calico she-cat slowly circled around her, observing her swollen stomach. She gently pressed her paw to Lemonfur's side, causing a slight kick to erupt.

"Ouch," Lemonfur snapped.

"What? It's not my fault," Ambershine argued, sitting down. "I was hoping maybe that would induce your labor," she joked.

"Ha-ha," Lemonfur replied, sitting down. She'd been grouchy for days, spending her time moping around the NightClan camp.

She'd heard no word yet from Lifesnow and Sunrise, and she was supposed to have given birth a week before. But still, her kits remained unborn and the prophecy unresolved. Lemonfur was getting a bit tired of waiting.

"Well, I guess it'll just happen eventually," Ambershine decided. "You're obviously on the verge of giving birth. I wouldn't be surprised if it happened at any second."

"Well, I want them out," Lemonfur complained.

Ambershine grinned. "If only I knew what the pains of being a mother were like," she joked.

"You're lucky you took an oath of having no mate or kits," Lemonfur explained. 

Ambershine laughed. "You're definitely acting like a grouchy queen. Just relax and head to the nursery," she advised her. "When you go into labor, which could happen at any time, we want you to be secure in your nest. I don't want you going out and about."

Lemonfur rolled her eyes. "Not even to stretch my legs?"

"If you need to make dirt then go ahead. What I mean is, you shouldn't be going through the forest alone or going to places you shouldn't be," Ambershine warned, eyeing Lemonfur.

"What?!" Lemonfur complained, though she knew Ambershine saw through her innocence. Just the other day, a NightClan patrol had caught her near the SnowClan border. She had been hoping to sneak across to speak to Lifesnow and Thornstar, but cats had noticed quickly her absence in the nursery. Thymewhisker had been furious to know she'd been out.

Besides feeling guilty about that incident, Lemonfur still hadn't told Thymewhisker about the prophecy, deciding it wouldn't be best until after the kits were born. He'd been stressed enough as it was, worried that the kits coming late was a sign that something was wrong. Ambershine assured him it was the exact opposite, that it was better later than earlier, but Thymewhisker still could not be calmed. Silverstar had assigned him on extra patrols to reduce his anxiety, though Lemonfur guessed it had only made it worse.

Ambershine led Lemonfur back to the nursery where Lemonfur curled back into her nest where soon tiny kits would occupy it. As Ambershine left, Lemonfur realized she had been so focused on the prophecy, she hadn't really thought too much into being a mother.

She assumed as soon as the kits were born, she'd be ready to assist the other cats. But kits were a lot of work, and from what Ambershine explained, it sounded like Lemonfur was having more than one.

"Please don't be five," Lemonfur whispered, thinking of Thymewhisker and his siblings. How had his mother handled all of them? Frostflight could barely control only her.

Being a mother was as terrifying as solving the prophecy, and Lemonfur grew more anxious each day. Her fur had grown wild and ragged. Ambershine described it as pre-birthing stress, but Lemonfur knew the anxiety from having kits and the prophecy had contributed to her unfavorable appearance.