Chapter 55

It started off a seemingly normal day for Lemonfur. Her eyes opened to find sunlight streaming through the nursery den, lighting up everything inside. She moved around uncomfortably, still not used to her enlarged belly.

Since she had discovered she was pregnant, Lemonfur's stomach had continued to grow, and now, it had swelled to a large size. Just recently she had been told by Ambershine that it was time for her to move into the nursery. Despite Lemonfur's argument that she still could hunt and fight, Ambershine explained how Lemonfur was due nearly any day and needed the time off.

So while her mate and friends got to hunt all day, Lemonfur was confined in the walls of the nursery, listening to the sound of shrieking kits and mothers just wanting to rest.

Will that be me? Lemonfur thought. She still was unsure if she'd be a good mother or not. She'd always seen herself as Thymewhisker's mate, but being the mother of his kits? It frightened her. She wondered how Frostflight had ever gotten along with Lemonfur and her other kits.

Lemonfur smiled, thinking of how her siblings had finally become warriors not too long ago. She had stood proudly with Frostflight and Hailfrost, congratulating them happily. It was odd to think they'd grown up so fast.

Lemonfur sighed, moving her sore muscles. Being confined in the nursery wasn't the best way to spend time. Thymewhisker often visited her, as did Raspberryblaze. Her mother and father and siblings came by once and awhile too, but she still felt lonely.

The sound of a hungry mewling kit caused Lemonfur to growl slightly. It wasn't so much she hated kits, but she was grouchy. The prophecy still was troubling her, and she still hadn't been able to tell Thymewhisker a single word about the prophecy. The only ones she talked to about it were Silverstar and Ambershine, both of whom hadn't mentioned it since Lemonfur explained her dreams.

Lemonfur sighed and rose to her feet, stretching. She sat back down, glancing at her enlarged belly. Ambershine had been right. Her kits really did seem like they would come any day.

Lemonfur shuddered as she felt movement in her stomach. Her kits seemed to really enjoy making her feel uncomfortable. She supposed they'd be born soon though and could annoy her in different ways.

"Good morning, sunshine!" came Thymewhisker's gentle mew from the entrance of the nursery. He padded inside and dropped a plump squirrel at her paws.

Lemonfur eyed him, saying nothing.

"What? Grouchy?" he asked.

Lemonfur sighed. "I just want these kits out of me."

Thymewhisker giggled. "They'll be born soon. Here, we can share the squirrel together while you tell me all about your nursery experience."

Lemonfur sighed and nodded, padding slowly outside with her mate. Together, they sat in the shining sun and munched on a squirrel. The squirrel satisfied her growling stomach, and Lemonfur soon began to feel better.

"Maybe they'll be born today," Thymewhisker whispered.

It made Lemonfur happy to see Thymewhisker was excited to be a father, but it made her feel worse about herself. If he thought being a father was easy and fun, how could she not feel the same?

"Do you think I'll be a good mother?" she asked Thymewhisker quietly after a moment of silence.

Thymewhisker's eyes widened, as if he were confused why she were asking the question.