Chapter 26

"Lemonpaw! It's time to get up!" Firelight screeched from the opening of the apprentice den. Lemonpaw lazily opened her eyes groaning. The tom padded away quickly, and Lemonpaw rose to her feet, tired and exhausted.

            The day prior, Lemonpaw had given one of the elders a "too-damp" nest, so Firelight had punished her by making her collect new fresh moss for every elder and pick off their ticks for the day. She'd been working until the sun had gone down.

            The apprentice den was empty, except for a few cats who had gotten the day off. Lemonpaw quickly walked out, finding Firelight sitting impatiently near the center of the camp.

            "Sorry!" Lemonpaw shouted as she ran towards him. It was fib, of course. She should've guessed Firelight would wake her early, but he knew how hard she had worked.

            "It's important to rise early," Firelight began.

            Lemonpaw rolled her eyes, awaiting another lecture from the ginger tom. He'd been a terrible mentor to her over the past moon, always hissing at her, lecturing her from time to time. She didn't even know why Silverstar had assigned the tom.

            "I was busy yesterday," Lemonpaw used as an excuse.

            "Yes, busy with your punishment. Eat a mouse quick. We're running late," he grumbled.

            Lemonpaw nodded, quickly grabbing a mouse from the fresh-kill pile. She sat down enxt to Raspberrypaw and Thymepaw, chewing away at her mouse.

            Thymepaw signed "Good morning" but Lemonpaw groaned.

            "Not having a good day?" Raspberrypaw asked.

            "I'll say! You know how hard I was working last night! Firelight shouted at me this morning about getting up early. I'm tired and exhausted. I really wish he had given me the day off."

            "Well, Tawnyfire let me sleep in as long as I wanted today," Raspberrypaw boasted.

            "Not helping," Lemonpaw replied.

            Lemonpaw watched as Thymepaw signed, "He's helping you".

            "I know," Lemonpaw sighed. "But he's so stuck up. I don't know why Silverstar assigned him."

            "Silverstar's a good leader. She knows what she's doing. I heard Firelight was a great warrior until this past leaf-fall. Guess his sister's and mate's death just hit him hard."

            "Yeah, well, he shows it," Lemonpaw grumbled, turning to see the tom sitting impatiently by the edge of camp.

            "I'll see you guys later. Bye," she called, waving to her friends as she padded off to greet the ginger tom.

            "I thought a mouse could be eaten quicker," Firelight said.

            Lemonpaw ignored him, padding into the woods with the tom. He walked beside her silently, gazing around the woods. The snow had almost melted now, clumps of it still hanging onto dirt.

            "There will be more prey in new-leaf, right?" Lemonpaw wondered.

            Firelight nodded. "Yes. Now that leaf-bare is nearly through, the prey will be coming out again. And them green-leaf will bring much prey."