Chapter 32

"Pst, Lifepaw," came a hushed whisper.

            Lifepaw slowly opened her eyes, bright sunlight flooding over her. The entire apprentice den was warmed by the gentle glow of sun, and she yawned, focusing now on Goosepaw.

            "What?" she murmured, half-awake.

            "Everyone's up. Remember our mentors gave us the day off today? You don't want to sleep through the entire day," Goosepaw explained.

            Lifepaw's eyes shot open and she stood up too suddenly, spots clouding her vision. Once she was able to see again, she grinned, watching as other apprentices went off with their mentors. She was thankful that Tinypelt had given her the day off today after a long day of training the day before. Thankfully, Goosepaw had gotten the day off too after getting a thorn stuck in his paw the day prior.

            Lifepaw's training had only progressed, and she had become skilled in both hunting and fighting. Several cats had remarked how she'd trained just like her mother. If only Lifepaw had known her mother...

            Soon, she would be a warrior. It would only be about two moons. Lifepaw's paws pringled at the very thought of standing on top of the rock with Thornstar, receiving her warrior name.

            "Lifepaw," came Goosepaw's call.

            Lifepaw turned, forgetting he had been standing there.

            "Sorry. Want to share a mouse?" she asked.

            Goosepaw nodded, and together, they padded to the fresh-kill pile, grinning. Picking out the plumpest mouse, Lifepaw sat across from the tom and took a large bite, licking her lips in satisfaction.

            With the new arrival of green-leaf, prey had been plentiful, and the whole clan had been gaining back the lost weight from leaf-bare. Cats were healthy, queens had given birth to new kits, and the whole clan seemed to be in a good mood.

            From the distance, Lifepaw could make out her father going on patrol. Patchfur would often mutter good morning and wish her a nice day when he saw her, but that was it. Meanwhile, Lifepaw would watch as Goosepaw and his siblings went and visited Blueocean often. Lifepaw's heart often sank at this.

            Of course, some days she'd visit Mousestripe, though the she-cat was usually chatting with her mate, Thornstar. She'd try to visit Stormpelt and Graytail too, though Stormnight was preoccupied with caring for his mate and their newly born kits, and Graytail was busy with his newfound mate as well.

            But as Lifepaw gazed at Goosepaw, she knew she had friends, and though her family seemed more important, she knew her friends would not let her down.

            "Is your paw feeling better?" Lifepaw asked Goosepaw.

            He nodded vigourously, finishing off the last bit of the plump mouse. Lifepaw grinned, smiling at Goosepaw.

            Ever since he'd become an apprentice, she had felt different around the tom. She felt closer to him than Ripplepaw and Marshpaw. Of course she still spent time with them, though she often felt she wanted to be alone with Goosepaw.

            Sometimes, when she'd hear of her family members and their mates, she would think of her future, Goosepaw often coming to mind. Perhaps it was only a silly daydream.

            "How's training?" Goosepaw asked.

            "Tinypelt taught me a lot of moves yesterday," Lifepaw explained. "My back legs are incredibly sore today."