Chapter 17

Salmon lazily opened her eyes and yawned, padding out of the birthing den. In only a few days, she would be six months old, and then, she'd begin training. She'd have to pass the test and all, though she sort of just assumed she would. Then, her father would declare her the next leader.

            He had to, right? She was his only kin.

            Salmon padded by, sitting down next to Mouse and Honey. They were becoming fine hunters and fighters, and she hoped to train as well as them.

            "Morning," Mouse mewed.

            "We can't wait for you to train with us soon!" Honey squeaked. "It'll be so exciting!"

            "What makes you think she'll pass initiation?" a familiar voice came.

            Salmon growled and turned, spotting Storm standing in the corner.

            "She's the leader's daughter. Of course she'll pass," Mouse explained.

            "Yeah," Salmon agreed. "I'll catch the biggest piece of prey within minutes."

            "Oh, yeah right," Storm remarked. "You may have the title of 'future leader', but that doesn't mean you're better than everyone. In fact, Oak hasn't even confirmed you are the future ruler."

            Salmon's heart sunk, but she still tried to remain strong. "Yeah, what makes you think he'll choose you over me?"

            "What are you talking about?" Storm growled.

            "It's obvious, isn't it?" Salmon said, taking a step closer to face him. "You're only bashing on me because you want to be leader. Have you forgotten there are plenty of other cats here? The world doesn't revolve around you."

            "Uh, guys," Mouse squeaked.

            "How dare you!" Storm spat. "I'm only trying to be the best cat I can be! You have your life worked out for you! In fact, I'd say your life is perfect! No matter how long it takes you to catch prey, even if you give up, Oak can't send his only daughter away. You'll be leader, only because you're his kin!"

            "My life isn't perfect!" Salmon hissed, digging her claws into the dirt. "Have you forgotten my mother died when I was a young kit? Do you know how much it hurts to want her every day? My father is busy caring for the rogue pack to pay attention to me!

            "And as for the kin issue, that's how it works, you dimwitted tom! The kin rules! Not just any old cat the leader comes across."

            "But don't you need a mate?" Storm asked. "I don't think cats just rule by themselves."

            "Why do you even care?" Salmon froze. "Ha, no. What makes you think I'd choose you as a mate?"

            "What other toms are in this pack?"

            "How about over there?" Salmon asked, pointing to toms training, others eating prey. "You're just hungry for power, Storm!"

            "WILL YOU TWO SHUT UP?!" Honey screamed at last. "Come on, we've got training to do. You too, Storm."

            Storm shot a glare at Salmon before running off.

            "Stupid tom," she spat as he walked away. She'd show him she'd be a good hunter and fighter and still be a good leader. That would show him.

            "Salmon, what is going on?!" a familiar voice came.

            Salmon turned, seeing her father running to her, a look of disapproval on his face.

            "Storm's being a pain," she explained.

            "Quit picking fights with your fellow members," Oak told her. "You're not even in training yet."

            "He started it," Salmon explained. "He started saying rotten things about me."

            "Just ignore the tom."

            "Father, I start training soon, right?"

            "In three days, to be exact," Oak told her. "Why do you ask?"

            "Even if I quit, would you send me out of the pack?"

            "Why would you purposely fail initiation? You've got good blood in you, Salmon. You'll do fine," Oak reassured her.

            "Who's training me if I do pass?"

            "Me," Oak told her. "It's tradition the male leader trains his kin, the future leader."

            "But am I the future ruler?" Salmon asked.

            "It all depends on your training. As far as I know, you will be the future ruler. You're my only kin."

            Salmon sighed. "All right. Thanks for the information."

            Oak padded off, leaving Salmon to sit alone in the camp. Sighing, she went off into the snowy woods towards the place where her mother was buried.

            The cherry blossom tree was bare and cold, like always. But soon, it would be spring, and then, the blossoms would form and she could speak to her mother.

            Salmon sat down next to the tree, sighing.

            "Mother," she began. "I know you can't hear me, as it's not yet spring, and the cherry blossoms haven't even begun to grow, but...all I ask for is your help. Give me guidance, please. Help me to be the best cat I can be.

            "I want to prove Storm and Oak and the entire pack that I'm not just going to be ruler because I am Oak's kin, but because I am a good fighter. That's really all I ask. Please help me out with my initiation in the past three days. And thank you for all you've done for me."

            She sat next to the tree for awhile, letting tears fall silently. She curled up next to the tree, snow gently floating down onto her white and gold pelt. Did her mother ever feel like this?

            No, she couldn't have. After all, she was only Oak's mate and that was how she became a ruler. She didn't grow up knowing that she'd take leadership later in life. It must've just happened for her.

            Salmon knew it was an odd thought, but most of the time she felt she didn't belong in the rogue pack. She felt like an outcast, someone only there for show. Ever since her mother died she had felt this way.

            Her father was not cruel or abusive, but he wasn't the best father either. She knew he was busy, but not once had he made his love known to her, not once had he let her curl up next to him, like her soft-hearted mother.

            And after initiation, she'd be training with him each day. She could only imagine how terrifying that would be. For six months they'd be training together, for six months he'd scream at her and tell her to do better, and for what? Would she even be leader at the end?

            The thought about a mate sickened her, but she guessed it would happen eventually. There were plenty of good toms in the pack. She guessed she just would ignore all of it for now.

            Sighing, she picked herself up and shook off her snow-covered pelt, padding back to the pack.