Chapter 18

"Lemonkit, Lemonkit," a squeaky voice came.

            Lemonkit groaned as two small paws pushed against her side. She rolled over, only to fill more paws touch her side.

            "What?!" she growled.

            She opened her eyes, seeing Troutkit standing next to her, her gray eyes gazing into Lemonkit's.

            "Are we going to play?" she asked, tilting her head.

            Lemonkit rose to her feet, shaking off her pelt. She towered over the little she-cat, and she was almost scared to play with the kits now, afraid she might trample them.

            She was nearly six moons. Very soon, she'd be an apprentice of NightClan, fighting battles and assisting the clan! And the best part was that she'd be made an apprentice with her friends.

            She had to admit, she would be sad leaving Frostflight and the kits in the nursery, but then she could go on patrols with Hailfrost, and soon, her "siblings"!

            "We play a lot," Lemonkit sighed.

            "But Mother says you'll be an apprentice soon and leave us in the nursery! Is that true?" Troutkit asked. Her gray eyes flickered with sorrow.

            "Oh," Lemonkit said quietly, looking down at her speckled paws. She looked back up at Troutkit, hoping her sorrow had vanished. Unfortunately, it hadn't.

            "Well, yes, I'll be an apprentice soon, and I will leave the nursery...But that doesn't mean I'll be gone forever! I'll still visit, of course, and soon enough, you'll join me with training!"

            "Being a warrior seems fun!" Desertpaw chimed in.

            "Well, we'll see how it is. I can't wait to start training!" Lemonkit purred.

            "I remember when I was an apprentice," Frostflight giggled, overhearing their conversation. Lemonkit turned her attention to her mother, hoping for a story.

            "It's weird thinking of you as an apprentice," Lemonkit admitted.

            The gray she-cat smiled. "Well, I was, and so was Hailfrost! Ah, those were the good days...before we had little kits to worry about," she joked.

            "Did Hailfrost have a brother?" Lemonkit asked.

            Frostflight nodded. "Yes, but he left to another clan as a young kit. Winterfrost, one of our elders, was heartbroken. But she had a second litter, of course. Still, the family doesn't talk about it."

            "Why did he leave?" Desertkit asked.

            "Hailfrost claims he felt that he didn't fit in. But I don't know why. He was a normal NightClan cat with a loving family," Frostflight explained. "But hush! I don't want you talking about it!"

            Lemonkit nodded.

            "What cats are Winterfrost's second litter?" Spotkit asked, confused.

            "Leafpaw, Arcticpaw, and Shellpaw."

            "Oh, Arcticpaw!" Lemonkit exclaimed. "Mangokit plays with him!"

            Frostflight nodded. "Good kits, all of them. Go run off and play now! Your mother needs sleep!"

            "So do I," Lemonkit grumbled.