Chapter 27

Sunrise awoke on a lovely spring day, warm sunlight shining into the room she and her owner slept in. She lazily opened her eyes, warm from the sun. The snow had almost melted, only a few clumps shoved in the corners of the fence remaining.

            "Sunrise, breakfast!" came the voice of the boy.

            Sunrise purred and stood up, following him outside of his door and into the kitchen. Holly and Polly had already eaten one full meal, plus additional treats. They were incredibly plump, sleeping all day, eating in their free time.

            Though Sunrise thought that her body appearance would make them jealous, they would often whisper, "Does she not like to eat like a kittypet? She looks like one of those forest cats? Barely has any meat on her at all".

            Sunrise ignored these comments, often laughing at their inability to move their chubby legs from under then. They were spoiled rotten.

            Food was poured into a small silver bowl, and Sunrise ate away, licking her lips in satisfaction once she finished. Holly and Polly didn't bother eating her food anymore since it required too much effort to even move over to her bowl. She guessed it was best they didn't explode.

            "Pst, Sunrise!" came a sharp hiss from Holly.

            Sunrise turned, rolling her eyes. She padded over to the two sisters, who lay curled up on the couch like feathery brown donuts.

            "Yes?" Sunrise asked.

            "Where are you going each day?" Polly asked.

            "What do you mean?"

            "You're always gone a couple hours a day," Holly explained. "You head out that cat door in the morning, come back in the afternoon for a nap, then disappear until dinnertime."

            "Why does it matter?" Sunrise asked.

            "What can you possibly find interesting outside?"

            "Why don't you get up and see?"

            Holly laughed at this, and Sunrise laughed too.

            "You're right. You couldn't make it on your chubby legs," she giggled.

            Polly glared at Sunrise, a low growl rumbling in her throat.

            "Yeah, well, we didn't care anyway," Polly growled.

            Sunrise laughed, padding away. Her sisters were still incredibly annoying, but they didn't seem to care about her much anymore. Her mind drifted back to Marshmallow, her favorite sister. What was she doing?

            And what about Hazelnut and Tiger? Did they enjoy their new families?

            What was her mother and father doing?

            All these questions circled Sunrise's mind as she padded inside, a cool breeze sweeping the backyard. It was the beginning of spring, but it sure was cold.

            "Sunrise, you're here!" came a sudden exclamation.

            Sunrise turned, noticing Fawn perched on her fence. She had grown over the winter, now taller than Sunrise. Sunrise guessed she was okay with it. After all, she was smaller than Holly and Polly, and she remembered being smaller than her other siblings.