Chapter 14

"Tag!" Raspberrykit called, lightly touching her tail to Lemonkit's shoulder.          

            "Hey!" Lemonkit called in response, beginning to chase after Raspberrykit. The ginger she-cat giggled, racing around the nursery. Thymekit raced around too, though he couldn't yell "tag" like the others. He was good at playing at hide-and-seek though.

            Lemonkit leapt into the air, tagging Thymekit. "Tag," she purred.

            Thymekit smiled then began to chase after his sister and friend. Lemonkit giggled as she raced around the nursery. Grumpy queens trying to sleep opened an eye as she went by, and younger kits looked around, gazing at their older playmates.

            "Lemonkit," Frostflight's familiar voice came.

            "Pause the game, guys," Lemonkit announced, padding over to her mother. "Yes?"

            Frostflight let out a gentle smile. "I need to walk around. Can you watch the kits or at least let them play with you?"

            Lemonkit looked down at her four siblings, all of them eager to play.

            "I guess," Lemonkit said, still uneasy about the decision.

            "Great, thanks," Frostflight told her, padding out of the den.

            "Can we play again now?" Raspberrykit asked.

            Thymekit nodded in agreement with his sister.

            "I don't know," Lemonkit admitted. "We have to play with them now."

            "We could play tag," Desertkit boasted.

            "But we don't want to trample you guys," Lemonkit explained.

            "We're one moon old!" Pearkit complained. "We won't get trampled!"

            Lemonkit turned, facing her friends. "Should we let them play?"

            Thymekit nodded while Raspberrykit shook her head.

            "I don't know," Lemonkit said, turning back to the four kits.

            "You're not a very fun sister," Spotkit complained.

            "I don't want you guys getting hurt," Lemonkit told the four.

            "Just let us play!" Deserkit begged. "Please, we won't get in the way."

            Lemonkit looked back at her friends one last time and sighed. "Well, okay, but try not to annoy the other queens and kits. Be careful too."

            "We will be," Troutkit assured her.

            "Who starts off?" Raspberrykit asked.

            "I will!" Desertkit called, waving his ginger tail into the air.

            "Okay, Desertkit starts off," Lemonkit called out. "Everyone, run!" she shouted.

            The cats began to race through the nursery, laughing and giggling. Though Desertkit was fast for his age, he couldn't run quicker than three four-moon-old kits.

            "Tag!" Desertkit called.

            "No fair! I was resting!" Pearkit complained, her fluffy fur spiking up in anger.