Chapter 56

It had been days since Salmon's fallout with Storm. For days she'd been thinking over her feelings over and over again, replaying the scene in her mind. How could Storm possibly love her?

            She loved him, and she knew it. And she wanted to tell him she did, but she was unsure how. Instead, she spent a great deal of time in the den, silently admiring the still beautiful cherry blossom that remained from her mother's tree.

            It still surprised Salmon to see that the flower had not withered one bit, as if it still possessed life inside of it. She knew her mother's spirit had to be present in that flower, and she protected it carefully, the flower meaning a great deal to her.

            As for Storm, he'd been avoiding her. Oak would force them to be together at times, but they often just said nothing or turned the other way, their feelings continuing to be repressed. Salmon wasn't sure how to tell him her feelings, and she wasn't sure if Storm would ever try to speak to her again.

            Each night, he'd sit down in the nest beside hers and sleep there quietly. And each night, Salmon would do the same. Their breakfasts together had come to a cease, though at Oak's request, sometimes they'd sit in silence and bite at a small mouse. Other than that, Salmon felt a great deal of awkwardness around her mate and often found herself alone most of the time.

            It wasn't until one sunny afternoon that Storm finally caught up to her. Salmon had been basking in the sunlight, trying to warm her fur up as much as she could during the cold day. She hadn't even noticed Storm approach.

            The sound of footsteps behind her caused her to turn, and she looked up, watching him standing over her. He did not act dominant over her. In fact, he looked quite frightened to be facing her.

            Salmon caught his eye and watched as he gulped, his eyes clearly showing his concern and nerves.

            "I-I wanted to apologize for the other day," Storm stammered, moving his eyes away from hers. His eyes were instead fixed on his gray paws, and he continued speaking. "It was not fair for me to make such a confession after how poorly I've treated you. I'm sorry to have concerned you. I know you will never truly feel the same way, but I'm hoping you could at least treat me as if you're impartial toward me. Perhaps then this awkwardness could vanish."

            Salmon was taken aback and was unsure of what to say. She gazed at the dark gray tom, biting her lip.

            "Storm," she managed to begin.

            Storm winced, as if awaiting a long and harsh rant.

            "I-I've been meaning to talk to you, too," Salmon said, standing up to face the tom now. He gazed at her with uncertainty, but allowed her to continue.

            Salmon glanced around, making sure no cats were near enough to hear their conversation. Then she stared into the tom's green eyes and made her long-awaited confession.

            "I love you too," she told him.

            The tom paused, severely confused. "What? Did I hear you correctly?"

            "You did," Salmon repeated, her heart sinking to see him react in such a poor manner.

            "B-but you couldn't. I convinced myself you couldn't. How? After all I've done!" he exclaimed.

            "You were foolish and you've apologized," Salmon admitted. "And I'm telling you the truth. Though you never were of interest to me, I truly do love you now. And I'm not saying this because we're forced to be mates or it is what Oak wants. I am generally happy to be acquainted with you."