Chapter 50

Lemonfur was awoken by Thymewhisker's tongue rasping against her cheek. She slowly opened her eyes, purring quietly.

            "Good morning," he told her, his eyes shining. She smiled back, thankful that he could actually speak to her. She imagined a life where they would have to communicate through sign language forever. Even though it would be possible, it wouldn't be the same. Still, she was often nagged by Bluefur to keep practicing in case something arised.

            Lemonfur rose slowly to her feet, trying to find balance. She stood, then trotted outside with her mate, stopping by the fresh-kill pile.

            "Anything in particular you want?" he asked.

            Lemonfur shook her head, sitting down slowly. Her mind drifted towards the dreams she had the night before. This time, she had been chatting as Shinypelt with her previous mentor, Tawnyheart, jokingly talking about her training.

            It was all odd to Lemonfur, these dreams, and she still had not gotten the courage to tell either Ambershine or Silverstar. She knew she had to eventually, but perhaps they were only harmless dreams. They didn't really mean anything.

            As Thymewhisker trotted towards her with a dead rabbit, Raspberryblaze jokingly teased, "That's a big piece of prey, Lemonfur."

            Lemonfur rolled her eyes, waving good-bye as she ran off on patrol. She glanced down at her stomach, wondering if perhaps she had been eating too much lately. But she'd been hungry! So was every other cat! With leaf-bare in a matter of moons, prey was beginning to get scarce, and soon, the whole clan would be gobbling down any piece of prey they could find.

            Thymewhisker growled at Raspberryblaze as he padded away,  saying, "We're sharing it, mouse-brain!"

            Raspberryblaze only shook her head and laughed, humming to herself as she left. Thymewhisker sighed and sat down.

            "Sisters," he muttered.

            Lemonfur shrugged. "What can you do about them?"

            As she took a bite, she frowned, thinking of Raspberryblaze's comment. Had she really meant it?

            "Do you think I've been eating too much?" she asked.

            Thymewhisker's eyes widened. "What are you talking about?"

            "Maybe I'm turning into a fat kittypet," she sighed.

            "What, Lemonfur you sound ridiculous. We're all getting hungry. Raspberryblaze was only teasing. She's practically your annoying sister too. Just ignore her."

            Lemonfur nodded, grateful for his response, but the thought still burned in her mind. She ate a quarter of the rabbit, feeling guilty, and stood up, a cold wind blowing past her.

            "Lemonfur!" Ashclaw, the deputy, called from the edge of camp.

            "What?" she called.

            "You're on patrol!" he shouted.

            Lemonfur turned to Thymewhisker, smiling uneasily. "See you later."

            "Bye," he called, waving his tail.

            She padded towards the group of cats, finding Frostflight among them. Frostflight and her were even in size now, both of them the tinier cats in the clan. Frostflight grinned at Lemonfur as she approached.