Chapter 24

Lifekit's eyes opened up as soon as light entered through the nursery. Her paws tingled with excitement, and her lips curled into a smile. She would become an apprentice today!

            Lifekit glanced around the nursery, finding the other queens and kits asleep. Frowning, Lifekit sat up and leaned against the corner of the den wall, watching as other warriors passed by, awaiting the apprentice ceremony that would take place.

            Lifekit glanced at Splashleap, who lay curled up with her two daughters. She had stopped nursing Lifekit awhile ago, though Lifekit still wondered if she'd at least fix Lifekit's fur. She'd seen mothers do that to their kits before ceremonies dozens of times, but with no mother, who would fix her fur?

            Lifekit shook these thoughts away, knowing she wanted too much from Splashleap. The she-cat had only nursed her, but she hadn't accepted her, treated her like her own kit. Lifekit was just a chore, someone Splashleap was forced to care for.

            Goosekit's eyes opened slowly, and he let out a grin as he noticed Lifekit.

            "Morning," she whispered.

            Goosekit stood up, yawning.

            "Are you becoming an apprentice today?" he asked.

            Lifekit nodded, bouncing up and down with excitement.

            Goosekit frowned, but shook the face away. "I'm happy for you," he admitted.

            "You're not too much younger than me," Lifekit began, noticing his sorrow. "You'll be an apprentice shortly. I'll see you and your siblings soon."

            "Unless Ripplekit decides to become a medicine cat apprentice," he admitted.

            "If that's the life she wants then that's fine with me," Lifekit explained. "You and your brother should accept her wish."

            "Is it time to get up already?" came Splashleap's croak. She rose to her feet, shoving at her daughters to wake up.

            "Splashleap, I'm becoming an apprentice today!" Lifekit exclaimed.

            Splashleap rolled her eyes. "Yes, I heard all about it yesterday...and the day before...and the day before that."

            Lifekit frowned as she began running her tongue across her daughter's fur in order to wake them.

            "Um, Splashleap," Lifekit began.

            "What is it?" the she-cat asked, busy tending to her two kits.

            "Well, it's just that..."

            "Just what?" she asked.

            "Lifekit!" came a sudden call.

            Lifekit turned, noticing Mousestripe padding into the den.

            "Mousestripe!" Lifekit exclaimed, padding towards the older she-cat.

            Mousestripe purred upon seeing the young kit, and she rubbed her head against Lifekit's.

            "Are you ready to become an apprentice today?" she asked.

            Lifekit nodded vigorously.

            "Well, Thornstar's already preparing to call cats together. You'll be heading up onto that rock in a few moments," Mousestripe explained. "Better say good-bye to the nursery now."