Chapter 12

After Cloudstar's unfortunate death, Thornfrost had been declared the new leader of SnowClan, and he had taken on his new name of Thornstar. Lifekit could tell Mousestripe was proud of her mate.

In other news, Pinethorn had been named as deputy, something Lifekit had not been expecting. Sure, the tom was a good warrior, but she hadn't thought he'd become deputy.

Lifekit lazily opened her eyes, spotting Tasha's kits playing around. She had tried to take her father's words to heart about what he had said about them, but she still had a hard time accepting the kits.

She turned her head, watching Splashleap's daughters sleep soundly by her. She noticed Blueocean sleeping behind the she-cat, her stomach plump. Any day now she would give birth to Pinethorn's kits.

Lifekit yawned and stretched her legs, padding out of the nursery. No cat really cared where she went, especially because all her family was located outside the nursery.

She looked around, trying to spot her father. She only got to talk to him a few times a day, and she only wished she could speak to him more. All the fathers loved to visit their kits in the nursery.

Lifekit looked up, seeing Mousestripe sharing a rabbit with Thornstar. She padded over, a grin on her face.

"Hello, Lifekit," Thornstar said.

"Hi," she mewed, smiling. She turned to Mousestripe, her blue eyes fixed on her grandmother.

"Do you know where my dad is?" she asked.

Mousestripe pondered for a moment. "I think he's in the warriors den, or maybe visiting his parents in the nursery."

Lifekit had never really heard too much about Patchfur's parents, only that she knew they were elders. She barely remembered their names.

"Thanks," she purred, running off through the camp to find her father. She bumped into him as he exited the elders' den, causing her to be thrown back.

"What are you doing outside the nursery?" her father demanded.

"I was coming to see you, Daddy! Maybe we could play!" she suggested.

Just by her father's sigh she could tell he wouldn't play.

"Daddy is a warrior, and he's got a lot to do," he explained.

"But Stormnight and Graytail always have enough time to play with me! Why don't you?" she whimpered.

"Stormnight and Graytail do not have as much duties," he quickly replied.

"But you aren't deputy! You're barely a senior warrior! You know, the daddies of the other kits always visit their children. Why don't you?" she asked.

Patchfur let out a sigh. "The other kits have mothers to care for them."

"But I have no mother, only a father!" she complained. "If Mommy were still alive, would you visit the nursery?"

Patchfur looked down at his paws. "I suppose I might. I'll play with you later, okay? But right now, I have a patrol. Head back to the nursery! Maybe Mousestripe will take you out later," he said, rushing off.

Lifekit stood, watching as he walked off. Just when she thought her father would be an actual father and play with her, he said no. Why did he act so odd around his daughter? What would it be like if her mother were here?

Lifekit made her way to the nursery, only to be blocked by Cheetahwing.

"Why can't I come in?" Lifekit asked the pregnant queen.

"Blueocean's about to give birth. We need everyone out of the nursery," the spotted she-cat explained.

"But-," she began.

"I'll take her out," Stormnight said, setting his tail on Lifekit's shoulder. "Come on, let's walk around camp."

Lifekit looked over at Cheetahwing one last time before following Stormnight.

Though Stormnight and Graytail were brothers, they were both so different. Stormnight was fun, but more serious, like her father. Graytail, however, was a kit trapped inside a warrior's body.

"Do you think Pinethorn will visit his kits?" Lifekit asked Stormnight.

"Of course. Why wouldn't he? I'll be visiting Cheetahwing and my kits when they're born."

"Daddy doesn't visit me," she complained.

Stormnight froze. "So this is what it's about? Your father?"

Lifekit nodded sadly.

"Look, your father is busy, and he was busy before you were born. He loves you very much, Lifekit, and if it's any help at all, he probably does not visit you too often because you remind him of Shinypelt."

Anger spiked through Lifekit's pelt. "So he doesn't want to visit me only because I look like my mom?!" she exclaimed.

"Losing someone is hard, especially your mate. I lost my sister, though I don't ignore you. We all deal with this differently."

Lifekit sighed. "I wish I knew my mother."

"But you do," Stormnight pointed out. "She lives in you."

"You think so?" she asked.

"Of course. Come on, let's go see if Blueocean has given birth yet," he said.

Lifekit nodded, following him to the nursery. Cheetahwing no longer guarded the nursery, and it seemed like cats could walk in willingly.

Slowly, Stormnight and Lifekit padded into the nursery. As cats moved aside, Lifekit could see three kits nursing beside Blueocean.

There was a white tom, a silver tabby she-cat, and a silver-blue tom.

"They're beautiful," Lifekit purred.

There was a large sound as Pinethorn stumbled into the nursery.

"Are the kits born?" he asked.

Blueocean laughed. "Yes, they're right here."

Pinethorn smiled, standing beside her. "What will we name them?"

"The white tom can be Marshkit, the silver she-cat, Ripplekit. And the silver-blue..." Her voice trailed off, and Lifekit was sure she could see her gulp.

"Goosekit," she announced.

"Way to let the father name any," Stormnight mumbled.

"It's fine, really," Pinethorn reassured them. Lifekit stared at the tom, looking at his mucky brown pelt. It seemed the only part of his fur color that had made it in the litter was Marshkit's white pelt. Still, the kits were beautiful. Lifekit couldn't wait to have new playmates.

She jumped as she felt someone touch her shoulder. She turned around, staring into her father s green eyes.

"Come on, let's go play," he said.