Chapter 38

"Get up! Get up!" Raspberrypaw hissed in Lemonpaw's ear. Lemonpaw slowly opened her eyes, yawning.

            "What is it?" she groaned, turning over to go back to sleep.

            "We have our exam today, Lemonpaw!" Raspberrypaw exclaimed. "Everyone else is already up! Come on!"

            The exam! How could Lemonpaw have forgotten? She'd been so excited the day before as she spoke with her friends about if they'd do well. Frostflight and Hailfrost had assured her she'd do well, and her siblings had also encouraged her.

            Lemonpaw raced outside the apprentice den, finding Raspberrypaw and Thymepaw sitting near the fresh-kill pile eating a rabbit. Mangopaw, Koipaw, and Windpaw, the other three apprentices who would be doing their exam, were also scattered throughout the camp.

            "Here, eat a bite!" Raspberrypaw called, shoving the rabbit towards her.

            Lemonpaw nodded, taking a bite of the rabbit. She felt queasy though, and she realized she was incredibly nervous for her test today.

            "Are you okay?" Thymepaw signed.

            Lemonpaw nodded. "Nervous, that's all."

            "Don't be. You'll do fine, Lemonpaw," Raspberrypaw assured her.

            "You're not nervous?" Lemonpaw asked.

            "A little, but every cat should be. Think about it! Tonight, we'll be warriors! Isn't that exciting?!"

            Lemonpaw nodded, though it seemed unreal. Hadn't she been playing in the nursery only a few moons ago?

            "Lemonpaw! Lemonpaw!" voices squeaked. Lemonpaw turned, watching as her siblings ran forward.

            "Good luck today!" Pearpaw exclaimed.

            "You'll do great," Spotpaw assured her.

            "Thanks," Lemonpaw purred.

            "Soon, we'll be apprentices with you!" Desertpaw exclaimed.

            "Well, you've got to finish training first," Lemonpaw pointed out.

            "Leave your sister alone and let her focus," Frostflight said calmly. The kits greeted their mother then ran off, leaving Frostflight with Lemonpaw.

            "Hi," Lemonpaw said quietly.

            Raspberrypaw and Thymepaw exchanged glances. "We've got to go, Lemonpaw!" Raspberrypaw called. "We'll see you later today for the ceremony!"

            Lemonpaw nodded, waving good-bye to her friends.

            "I don't think I've spoken to you in awhile," Frostflight admitted.

            Lemonpaw shook her head.

            "From what I've heard, Firelight has said you have been a great apprentice, and I believe it."

            "You do?" Lemonpaw asked.

            "Yes. And I'm very proud of you, Lemonpaw. I may not be your mother, but you'll always be my daughter," she purred. Lemonpaw could notice tiny crystals in her eyes.