Chapter 9

Salmon sat near the den, the autumn wind flying through her pelt. She stood, watching the leaves fall. A storm rumbled up ahead, not that she cared though. She didn't care anymore. She was nearly two moons now, and already she'd been through too much heartache.

            "You should speak to her," she heard Rain say quietly.

            "What do I say?" It was her father's voice now. Salmon ignored him, watching more leaves fall. A large roar of thunder rumbled across the sky.

            "You must help her," she heard Rain whisper.

            "Shouldn't I help myself too?"

            "But it is different for her."

            Salmon tried to ignore their conversation, but she couldn't. She could hear them behind her in the den, and she unsheathed her claws and sank them into the soil.

            Cherry Blossom had passed only about ten sunrises before. The tribe had been in mourning ever since, especially her and her father.

            Salmon's heart ached as she thought of her beautiful mother. She remembered when her mother had become ill, she was welcomed into the healing den. Her mother had laid across a nest, thin and fragile. Salmon knew she was going to die the moment she saw her like that.

            Oak was adamant though that she would live. He would visit her every day, while Salmon was only allowed to visit her once every few sunrises. She remembered that one day when she had sat by her mother in silence, only to feel Berry's tail lightly touch her.

            Salmon had twitched and turned to face the cream she-cat. Berry had stared at her intently, then spoke. "You are a wise she-cat, Salmon. You have already accepted death when your father refuses to believe in it."

            Salmon had sat there, not replying. She had not known if Berry was true about her wisdom. Wasn't it obvious that Cherry Blossom was in a terrible state?

            Berry had not left her alone though that day. She continued to speak to her, saying, "Perhaps it is best if your stubborn father learns from you. I've seen you, Salmon, and I do believe you should be the one to rule after your father."

            Salmon had replied that time. "Ruling is something I don't want to focus on."

            Berry had left her alone after that, and several sunrises later Berry had broken the news to Oak and Salmon that Cherry Blossom would not live, and she would probably die later that night.

            Oak had broken down easily, but Salmon had stood strong. She had looked at her paws, wondering why she was being punished with her mother's death.

            That night, Salmon had slipped into the healing den near her mother's side. She had watched as her mother's eyes slowly opened, and she was amazed to see the slightest curl of lips from her mother.

            "My dear Salmon," she purred.

            "Mommy," Salmon said. She had not heard her mother's voice in days.

            "You must help your father cope," Cherry Blossom said.

            "But, Mommy, I'm a kit," Salmon complained.

            "You're a very special kit," Cherry Blossom told her. "And you'll surely lead well."

            Salmon hated cats bringing up the idea of her leading. At only a moon or so, she did not want to learn about leading the tribe.