Dictionary

ASSALAM ALAIKUM!

Ok so here's the deal. I decided to do this cause I know many people who don't really understand might need this so....here's a dictionary of all the terms that will be used. You don't have to read this of course. Its totally up to you!

Allah: This just means God. We call God, Allah. Its pretty much the same as saying God. Except it's in Arabic.

Salam Alaikum: This just means 'may peace be upon you' and Muslims always have to say this to each other, like a greeting. Even if you're complete strangers. Heheheheh.

Walaikum Asalam: This means 'may peace be upon you too' which we have to return after saying Asalam Alaikum. Example:

Person 1: Salaam Alaikum Bro

Person 2: Walaikum Salaam bro

Dua: Is sort of like praying. But you recite this at the very end when you pray for things that you may desire.
If you want or need something you gotta make dua for it. But remember, if duas are not accepted, its probably because Allah has something better in mind OR, its not the perfect time to receive it yet.

Asragfirullah: Means "I seek forgiveness from god" and is usually said after you hear, see, or do something that you weren't taught to do.

Bismillah: This means "in the name of god" and is said before eating, praying, and doing everyday things. Let's say I were to enter my school, I would say bismillah before entering just for good luck.

Mashallah: Means 'God has willed it' and is basically said after something good happens. So like if I do good on a test I would say "MASHALLAH! I GOT 100! WOOHOO!"

Alhamdulilah: This is kinda similar to mashallah except this means 'all praise be to God' and you say it after a blessing. So like "Alhamdulilah! Shes pregnant!"

Jazakhallah/ Jazakhallahu Khair: So saying this is sort of like saying thank you. But the literal meaning is 'May Allah reward you.'

Hijab: Headscarf usually worn to show modesty, and preserve outer beauty for only our family to see.

Nikkah: This just means wedding ceremony.

Abaya: A long, loose dress, that many Muslim women wear.

Iman: Is basically your religious beliefs and practices. You have a strong iman when you pray 5 times a day, you read the Quran, and you basically follow the teachings of your religion.

Halaal: Means allowed or permitted. So like reading a book is halaal and it doesn't go against the teachings of Islam.

Haraam: This is the opposite of the word above. This means forbidden. For example, eating pork is haraam in our religion.

Sabr: Patience.

Lengha: A South Asian type of clothing worn at special events.

We pray five times a day so:
Fajr: First prayer of the day.
Zuhr: Second Prayer of the day.
Asr: Third prayer of the day.
Magrib: Fourth prayer of the day.
Isha: Fifth prayer of the day.

Family Terms-
Bhai: Brother
Ammu: Mom
Abbu: Dad
Bhabi: Sister In Law

In a lot of South Asian cultures you refer to your elder brothers, in laws, sisters, and cousins, as bhai, behen, or didi.

I think that's it for now. As I continue on into the story I'll add more. I hope this was/is helpful.
Enjoy the book!

ILY! <3

~Rose~