Chapter 20

"Beware of jealousy, for verily it destroys good deeds the way fire destroys wood"
-Muhammad (SAW)

I know its hard to control emotions sometimes. Sometimes jealousy can get to us. Let's say my friend has a cupcake, and I'm jealous. Would it be right to let my emotions get to me and wish the worst for her, or ruin her cupcake? That would destroy our relationship. I wouldn't want that. Brothers and sisters, jealousy is so common today. But we must learn to be happy for those who we are jealous of, even if we aren't on good terms with them. We shouldn't let our greediness get in the way of our humanity, as they are two opposite things. Like fire and water. Instead, say mashallah and move on.

Rahmat's POV

"I was abused by my mom and dad a lot, and I had to protect Ameera, because she was small, and she didn't need to see that kind of stuff.

They told me I was worthless, they told me I was a disappointment. They always made me feel like an outcast. Then, I remember getting bullied by those kids at school.

I started to suffer, mentally and physically. I couldn't handle it....but then there was you. You were my best friend, you were the best thing that ever happened to me.

You made me feel things that were so new to me. You fought for me, you were there for me at my weakest point.

But then I left, and moved away, for months I was homesick and depressed.

I was also getting bullied quite badly. I was just some sort of target for people. I had 2 or 3 friends but we soon broke apart, because they didn't want to hang out with me.

And that's when I almost commit suicide. I was about to overdose on some pills.

But then, I saw little 4 year old Ameera blink at me with confusion. She didn't understand a thing, and then, out of the blue, she just started crying. I comforted her, and then I realized that Ameera needed me, she needed her older brother by her side."

I looked at him and he refused to make eye contact with me.

"Depression followed me into adulthood. I was constantly sad and upset. But I tried not to show it.

Then I got into college. And I started to get attention. From girls, guys, and teachers. Although, something never felt right. Something was off.

I still felt depressed and nobody understood me. No one took me seriously and everyone wanted me for my looks and money. Depression took a turn and got worse.

Until you came along..."

I stood in shock.

"Well....let me explain. I saw you the first time when you told my colleagues and I to shut up.

I was surprised at the woman you have become. And I didn't know what to say or to think. You looked so different, but in a good way...

Then I found out my parents arranged a marriage for us and, I was really shocked and I didn't think you would like me...but somehow, the way you annoyed me, bossed me around...and behaved with me...made me feel less depressed and sad.

Then came Aliza's death. Now when my parents used to abuse me, Aliza was the one who healed my bruises, and helped me with everything. Her family had died in a car accident, so she considered me family.

My parents hired her as a maid, but as soon as I got ahold of the company, I offered her to stay here with me and she can eat, sleep, and work here. I even offered her a year's worth of money...but she denied and said she wanted to live a middle class life.