Chapter 13

When I got home from school on Tuesday I was exhausted. I had just had a math test and was sure I failed epically. All I wanted to do was take a shower and lie down. Of course, that didn't happen.

As soon as I walked through the door, Sam called me from the living room. I kicked off my shoes and slid on my socked feet down the hallway, abandoning my backpack. I flopped down on the couch as soon as I walked in, not even greeting Sam. 

"You okay?" He inquired.

"Mmmh." I groaned into the cushion.

"You have school off tomorrow," Sam lowered the volume on the TV. "right?" 

I rolled over so my face was exposed to the air. "Yes." I hesitated. " But I can see where you are going with this. So I will tell you right now that I am planning on staying in my room all day with my good old friend, Mr.Computer."

"Oh come on. It will look really good for college if you go." He enticed.

I paused. I can spend one day of my life doing something actually kind of productive. Well, anything would be considered productive compared to sitting in my room all day eating and Tumbling. "What is it?" I grumbled, still not completely sold.

"Its a business meeting lunch thing for work." 

"And please explain to me why would come?" What did he expect to say. Hey look everybody! My kid sisters here to talk about business strategies and the statistics of the music industry! Yeah, don't think so. The most I know about the music industry is that Taylor Swift has a new boyfriend every 3 months for "inspiration." 

"Well ummm..." Sam didn't finish. He wants something. 

"Sam. What is it?"

"Uh. What would you say" He stopped looking at me and changed his line of vision to he TV screen.  "if I said we were short a waitor?"  Damn. 

"Then I would say hell to the fucking no." I crossed my arms over my chest, shaking my head. I sucked at waitressing. The one time I tried it I spilled a whole tray of drinks on a family, screwed up too many orders to even count, and almost stabbed a guy. Never again. 

"Its casual. Just brunch. You'll do fine." He argued.

"Nope." I stated. "Not happening." 

"Oh don't be a pussy! You'de other wise be doing nothing all day. I'll even pay you." 

"Sam Joseph Hadden! Are you bribing me?!" I acted in fake shock.

"Please!" He began begging. "This event is key for Cherrytrees success in Chicago and I promised I had this waitress thing under control. I even told Josh and the guys you would be there." That changes everything now doesn't it!? Ugh. Josh still hadn't texted me since "our night" and I had to admit it, I missed him. He made me feel so alive. Almost like I was a little carefree girl again. 

"So they'll be there too?" I tried to not look at Sam. 

"Uh. Yeah."

"Alright. But I'm only going because you're paying me." That was such a lie.

Sam and I pulled up to the curb in his silver Nissan Altima. I stepped out in front of the Skokie Country Club and a scrawny dark haired guy took Sams keys to valet the car. Sam had told me to just wear a simple black and white outfit. So I chose a black pencil skirt and a plain white button down. We stepped thought the oak tree doors and a buzz of voices struck us. People were mingling with each other and milling about. Ladies wore bright sun dresses and most of the men had on golf attire. They all held crystal glasses in their hands, filled with assorted mixtures. Ha. Drunkards. Only 11:00 and they were already drinking.