Chapter 24

Josh's eyes flashed with a heated anger. But I also saw humor playing in the blue of is irises, like this was fun. Like he enjoyed it. I watched Will and Josh with the concentration and skittishness of a rabbit living in Starbucks. I was ready to hop right between them both and make sure no more punches would be exchanged. But I could see they were both itching to lay a few solid ones on each other.

Why was this even happening? Just because Will and I were beginning to hash things out, Josh felt the need to plant his fist on Wills face? And in return, Will decided it would be a marvelous idea to return the favor? These boys didn't even know each other. No connection except for me. Sure Josh was trying to be all helpful and make sure I was all right, but I wasn't so sure this was the solution. This would only make it worse. Make Will angrier because Josh was literally pounding it into his perfect head that he couldn't have me. And he never would again. Wills time with me was over and Josh had taken his place.

Will brought his fist back from Josh's face, knuckles bony and white, his lips curled up in a pleasured smile. Josh held Wills eye contact, not wavering one bit. I couldn't tell what would happen next. Would Josh hit Will another time? Or just turn around, take my hand, and walk the hell away.

Josh held Wills eyes. A battle was raging in between the few feet they stood from each other. Josh reached up and tore the fake mustash from his upper lip, red underneath his stubble. Then, he motioned his fingers as if to say 'I'm ready, come at me.'

Josh's eyes darted to mine for a split second. My heart slammed backwards, touching my spine. I tried to shake me head, don't do this, but it hardly moved at all.

Will shifted. But didn't make a move to come at Josh. I prayed this would end in only an exchange of words, no more fists. "Aw. Looks like someone wants to be a hero. Cute."

"Nope, not trying to be a hero. I'm just sick and tired of knowing you have the ability to be anywhere near Penelope." Josh stood his ground. His feet spread, hands down and ready.

"So what are ya gonna do about it?" Will chuckled. "Write a mean song about me so I go crying to my mommy?"

"Well it's definitely a possibility." Josh didn't seem to notice his arrogance."Or I could just release my powers of 12 years of karate black belt on you, and then land your ass in jail for what you did to Penelope."

I heard murmurs reverberating from the small group of high schoolers that was pooling around the edge of the graduation crowd, all curious. Oh the rumors that would now spread. Me, me current boyfriend and my ex-boyfriend. I didn't think they had seen Josh and Will hit each other, but I'm sure if our little conversation continued, they would. How much more could this last? The adults were still a safe distance away, but I didn't know from how much longer.

Will was silent, his expression troubled. His dark eyebrows drawn together, and his eyes shadowed even though light swayed over his body, which had leaked through the leaf canopy over head. "If that happens...if i get put in jail because of this whore," Will grimaced at me. "then you can be damn sure that when I get out, I'll finish what I started with your precious girlfriend."

Josh worked his jaw, side to side side to side. His blue eyes flashed, then he lunged. "Like hell you will." And his hard fist pummeled Will just under his ear, near his neck. Its sound was way too familiar. I wanted to scream. I knew what would happen next.

"Don't strain yourself, old man." Will barked as he swung for Josh, hitting him square on. I was vaguely aware that I flinched. But couldn't really tell. Everything was slowing down, my head pounding, vision blurring. My feet were dug under the earth, 60 yards down, and I was trying to pull them up. Trying to move them, and stop this.