Chapter 19

Thanksgiving day came faster than we thought it would. Me and Atticus got up a little later than we had planned, but once we got up we were both excited. Mama had started cooking at the break of dawn, like she does every year.

I let Atticus take a shower before me, because unlike me, he actually likes waking up in the morning. I'm more of a night owl. He came out with a towel wrapped loosely waist, asking me if I would help him pick something to wear.

Opening his suitcase, I grabbed a nice pair of jeans, with a white shirt, and a navy blazer. "Ok so wear this outfit with your bean boots."

Nodding he kissed me on the cheek, and begins to get dressed. I took a shower, and did all the essentials. Walking out of the bathroom, I see Atticus had already when downstairs. I grabbed a maroon colored dressed, and paired it with my Tory Burch, hazel colored boots. I did a more of a darker makeup look, with a smokey eye, and deep plum lipstick.

I straightened my hair, and once I was finally finished, I walked downstairs. Atticus was at the bar, doing some work. I walked over an gave him a kiss, but while doing that I took his MacBook away. "Hey I need that, I need to catch up on some work!"

"No, no, no. You can catch up on work on the plane ride back. Thanksgiving day is about spending time with each other, eating, watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade, and going early Black Friday shopping!"

He said fine, and stomped his way into the kitchen. I laughed, and went over to see mama in the kitchen. "Do you need any help?" "You can start making the pecan pie."

I grabbed the ingredients, and sat them in the island. Getting to work, I grabbed the brown sugar, eggs, butter, vanilla extract, and pecans, and I mixed them all together. I then poured the Caro syrup in and mixed it. Putting the froze pie crust in the pie pan, I poured the mixture into the pan.

Making sure it was all in, I set the pan in the oven, closer the door, and set the timer for a hour. "Ok I'm done, do you need anything else?"

Mama shook her head no, so I went into the living room. All the me were sitting around the tv watching football, excluding Mark. Him, and AJ would come around noon from there house.

I sat next to Atticus, and focused on game. He pulled right beside him, and hooked his arm around my waist. Kissing my cheek, he settled his focus on the tv again.

~~

It was 12, right on the dot, when Mark and AJ arrived. That's how AJ had always been, she was never late nor was she ever early, right on time for everything. She had her life planned since she was 9, and never strayed from that life. Now Mark was carefree, he went with the flow, he's the only person, other than her family, that could handle her.

She had brought Mac and cheese, which was Dixon's favorite. They settled in, and mama finished around 2. We said Grace, and dug into the delicious food.

After eating, we did the Sage tradition, the 24th annual Sage Thanksgiving football game. Every year since Dixon turned five, AJ was 3, and I was a mere one year old, dad started a football game. Since then we've done it every year.

On Dixon's team it was Dixon, Atticus, and me. On AJ's team it was her, Mark, and dad. Mama always opted out, her excuse was that she wasn't athletic enough.

We did the coin flip, and AJ got the kickoff. The football game had begun.

~~

It was 11 at night, and we were all tired. The football game lasted two hours, with Dixon's team winning. After it ended, everybody went and took some much needed showers.

Settling down around the tv, we all just had sentimental conversations. This would be mine and Atticus' last day here down in Rightsville. We had to get up at 2, to catch our flight back to New York, so we could celebrate Thanksgiving with Atticus' parents. We decided to catch some sleep, and went to bed around 12. Saying goodnight to everybody, we went to sleep, dreading to get up in 2 hours.

~~

2 came faster than we thought. I was dressed in a plain pair of leggings, and one of Atticus' Harvard sweatshirts. I slipped into a fuzzy pair of socks, and my Bean Boots. Making sure everything was ready to go, I woke Atticus up. He dressed in gray sweatpants, and a plain, white, long-sleeved thermal. He slipped his Sperrys on, and a black jacket on.

He lugged our 2 suitcases downstairs, while I carried our carry-on. Mama, daddy, and Dixon were standing by the door, waiting to drive us to the airport. AJ couldn't come because she had to be up at 5, so I told her and Mark a goodbye before we went to bed. Dixon rode with mama, and daddy, while Atticus and I took my Jeep.

Arriving at the airport, I kissed each of their cheeks, and have them a hug. Dixon told me to call him once we arrived in New York, giving him an extra long hug. We boarded into Atticus' jet, and we were off to New York.