Field 1- Chapter 3

Lynda woke up when the floor started jolting upwards in uneven bursts. The others seemed confused as well.

The walls had fully encased them and changed to a jet black colour, darkening the room in contrast.

"What's going on? What about the void?" Karin asked, standing up leaning against the wall.

"What happened to the walls? And the floor? There's a ceiling now?!" Marcus exclaimed. Looking around confusedly. "This doesn't seem right, I don't think things can change this quick."

"Everything's getting darker," Steven commented. Walking towards a wall to stable himself from the jerking movements of the room.

The room made one final jerk upwards before the room went completely dark.

Now what do we-" Karin was cut of by loud crashing noises, which caught them all off guard. "Now what?"

"Good question," Lynda replied. She took a few steps along the wall before her foot hit something. "Ow!!"

Four coloured stones lit up the room, each corresponding to one of their colours. They looked just the right size to be the most uncomfortable thing they'd ever held.

"What are those things?" Steven asked, leaning down in front of the purple one. He ran a hand over the surface of the smooth stone.

"There's a door, should we go that way?" Lynda suggested, looking away from the green stone she'd run into.

"Worth a try. These are so awkward," Marcus said. He had picked up the yellow stone and held it in his arms.

"I am not looking forwards to this," Karin complained, lifting the orange stone. "It's not heavy, it's just awkward."

"It actually doesn't weigh anything," Lynda said holding hers in her arms. "I would kick it if I weren't afraid of it shattering."

"Let's just see where it goes," Marcus said walking down the path. The others followed, Lynda looking back into the room before following the others.

"I wonder why these glow?" Karin asked, walking ahead of Steven and constantly shifting the rock to find any moderately comfortable position.

"They probably coloured them with highlighters," Steven said, pretending to draw on his.

"I don't think you know how to draw very well," Lynda commented, laughing slightly. "Usually your fingers point towards the writing end."

"Shut up! My stone gives off the most light," Steven said.

"Wait what?" Marcus asked. Turning back. It was true, purple light almost filled the hallway.

"Wait, ours get dimmer the further we go this direction," Karin commented.

"We have to split up then," Marcus said.

"Wait what? Are you insane? That's how we'll get lost!" Lynda exclaimed. Marcus looked back at her.

"I think they're leading us different ways, maybe. Why else would one be brighter," he continued.

"But if we get lost-"

"Look, let's split up. If for some reason we get lost, just look for everyone else," Steven suggested.

"You're a genius," Karin said. "See you guys hopefully later."

"Hopefully," Lynda replied. Everyone started splitting up, she hesitated before turning down a branch by herself. Leaving her alone with her thoughts.

All she could hear was her footsteps echoing against the stone floors. Sure enough, the stone gradually became brighter.

She tried thinking of something other than her footsteps and breath, but the only other thing was the walls, floors, and the stone. Which was continuously growing in brightness, until it felt as if the whole maze was illuminated in bright green.

There was a white corner to her right that looked like a dead end, she stepped into it and just out of her reach was a slot, the exact size of the stone.

She reached up holding the stone, even standing on the tips of her toes she couldn't push the stone into the small crevice.

"How in the world do I do this?" she asked aloud, as a final resort just throwing it to the slot. When it landed on the floor without any visual damage, she decided to try again and again before finally it slid halfway in. "You've got to be kidding me."

Lynda backed up a few steps and ran up to it, jumping with arms outstretched.

Her fingers grazed the bottom enough for it to slide into place as she crashed into the wall.

"At least it worked, now what?" she said, standing up and leaning against the wall facing towards the maze.

She stood straight and turned to notice the wall gone revealing a short path, and facing the other way, her exit was blocked.

She was confused at first, but chose to ignore it and follow the new path. At the end was a room with Marcus and Karin inside.

"Hey, we're waiting on the guy who was the closest to his end point," Marcus said smiling and leaning on the wall.

"Really? I would've figured he'd be first," I reply.

"He's probably still figuring out how to open the door, or the pathway thing," Karin replied laughing slightly.

"Imagine that," Marcus said.

"I was ready to get rid of that stone the second I saw the hole thing," Lynda replied.

"What?" Karin asked.

"I'm just glad we're done with those glowing stones," Lynda explained, rephrasing her previous sentence.

"Same," Marcus replied.

"Hey guys! How'd you beat me? That thing was like a maze!" Steven said walking in the room.

"That's what it was," Marcus said. "Told you we wouldn't get lost."

"Are you kidding me? How could we have known there was some destination like this? Lucky guess," Lynda replied crossing her arms. The four doors slammed shut but nobody payed them any mind.

"I was still right," Marcus said.

"Look, guys, you can argue later, come look at this," Karin said, everyone walking her way to see what she'd found.