Field 3- Chapter 5

As they passed him it startled Marcus who was sent to the floor with a girlish scream, sending Mabel into a fit of laughter.

"Haha! Come on!" she shouted, starting to run one again after their short pause. Lynda followed her down the tunnels to find her already inside the kitchen, having left the door wide open. "Hey Lucy!! Tylor gave Lynda her tour so I'm showing her the kitchen!"

"Hey," Lynda greeted. Waving towards Lucy who raised her hand in a slight wave.

"Hi," she replied.

"Lucy's really shy, so it'll probably take a while before she talks to you," Mabel explained.

"Aura!!" Lucy shouted, shoving her sister who stumbled to the side.

"Ha, so yeah, this is the kitchen, it's a nice space, it's basically Lucy's home where she fantasizes about-" Mabel started, getting cut off before she could finish.

"Aura!!" Lucy shouted again, shoving her sister harder which made her stumble over a bit a break out laughing.

Lynda was confused but smiled slightly as Lucy grabbed a frying pan.

"Lucy-" she swung towards her sister who dodged it, "-loves-" she continued after a pause, the hybrid swung again pointlessly as Mabel jumped onto the island in the centre of the room. She opened her mouth to continue talking when Lucy hit her side and flung her off the island. Mabel burst out laughing once again as she hung midair just above the floor.

"What's going on?" Chairen asked, throwing the door open, he seemed angry. He frowned as he saw the scene before him and Lucy dropped the frying pan and he sighed, glancing back to Lynda.

"It was Lucy!!" Mabel shouted, getting back up and pointing at her sister.

"Shut up! It was you who started it!" Lucy replied. Grabbing the frying pan from the ground and returning it to the cupboards.

"And you?" he asked, turning to face Lynda.

"I didn't do anything!" Lynda said, worried he wouldn't believe her.

"Just stop fighting," Chairen said, stepping out and closing the doors.

"As I was saying," Mabel continued, pausing and smirking.

"I dare you," Lucy replied.

"This is the kitchen, usually Lucy and, or Ezzy make treats and leave it in here to eat. Also dinner at about seven, Chairen, Zip and Tylor have watches, Zip usually gets everyone," Mabel explained.

"Good choice," Lucy replied, pulling out a tray from the cupboards.

"Ooh, what're you making?" Mabel asked as her sister grabbed a bag of flour from a cabinet.

"Cookies, maybe some brownies or muffins later," Lucy replied, setting the bag down on the island.

"Make brownies, I'm going to find Marc, bye," Mabel said, grabbing a smaller bag of flour and running out the door.

"He's the Martins, isn't he?" Lucy asked, looking up at Lynda.

"Yeah," she replied. "Zippi's brother."

"He's really going to hate Aura after this," Lucy said, grabbing measuring cups and other ingredients from the cupboards.

"After what?" Lynda asked.

"She grabbed a whole bag of flower, she's going to make him into the ghost of Marcus Martins," Lucy explained, chuckling softly.

"Do you need any help?" Lynda asked.

"No, I'm fine, you can stick around though if you'd like," she suggested.

"Alright," Lynda replied, looking over and pulling a stool over to the other side of the island. It was silent for a few moments as Lucy carried a bowl over to the island. "What was your Project like, do you remember?"

"Well, I was the first they successfully injected the DNA into who survived, then the next two days I was in this room, at night I would pick at the corner of a panel that had seemed a little off since I'd first gotten there, during night they shut off the lights, one day, one group working on your project passed by and I managed to pry the panel off after they passed, the door closed behind them, that was in Field 3 with a different group, I pried off a panel on the opposite wall after replacing the old panel and found a tunnel system, blocking the entrance and I went down and tripped and fell against the door, suddenly I heard Chairen and Ezzolyn through the door, although I didn't know who they were, Ezzolyn opened the door for me, and that's my story basically, Tylor found me in the database and soon along came Aura and suddenly my life is a lot different. I don't hate her though," Lucy explained. "My Project hurt. Just leave it at that. Needles and many health tests."

"Huh, I wish I could remember my Project," Lynda replied, leaning forwards on the island to get a better view of what Lucy had set up.

"Well... maybe you will," she replied. "I don't really know, I don't know this stuff, it's all really confusing. That's why I usually just stay in here."

"It's a nice kitchen, from someone who doesn't know anything about them," Lynda said.

"Thanks, I designed it myself," Lucy replied, smiling and starting to mix ingredients.

"How'd you get all the stuff?" Lynda asked. Running a hand over the top of the island.

"You wouldn't imagine what kind of Projects they've done. They're all supposed to help or influence or change the world. Mine was to heighten human's senses. The animal extras weren't supposed to be there," she explained. Lynda was already lost with the baking, so she stopped paying attention to it.

"What was my Project for? Do you know?" Lynda asked.

"None of us do, we don't even think they do. But it was for something, I'll tell you that. Important enough to kill hundreds of kids by forcing them through dangerous tests and puzzles," Lucy said.

"Kill?" Lynda asked, frightened by mention of the word.

"You all could've died, what do you think happened to the rest of Chairen's team?" Lucy asked.

"Oh... that's... that's frightening," Lynda replied.

"All of the Projects could've killed us. But we know none of us would've been here if not for Chairen," Lucy replied. "He made the tunnels primarily, he made livable conditions. Ezzolyn got here second. She helped expand the tunnels and stole things from other projects for them."

"We would still be in our Project... how did Chairen get out?" Lynda asked.

"He hasn't told any of us, he doesn't talk about it," Lucy replied.

"Okay," Lynda said. It went quiet between them and Lynda just sat in the calm environment, watching as Lucy added nuts and several different types of chocolate chips into the bowl.

____
A/N

First thing published in 2016 and over 1000 words. I'm proud of it, definitely.

Have a great day or remainder of day!

-Calexia31