Chapter 10 - Taking Flight

Chapter 10

The Viridescent Forest is calm.

The sky is cloudless, and the bright light of the moon shines down upon it, turning the usually emerald leaves of the trees an unnatural inky indigo shade. They sparkle like the rarest of diamonds as a light breeze flutters through them.

There's only one car in the gravel parking area, a pristine cherry Ferrari.

Meanwhile in the clearing, seven mortals figure out what to say to each other, worried that one wrong move will cause a domino effect.

One of them...Is me.

I don't even know if we can call ourselves mortals anymore. Now that I seem to have an inability to get injured anymore, I feel anything but mortal.

The seven of us are arranged in a disarm around the clearing.

Ashlyn, Laura, Emma, Andrew and I are all at one end. Whilst Lyke and Callia are standing at the other.

An abundance of wildflowers is the only thing covering the distance between our two groups. They dance in the breeze, beckoning us to say something, anything...

Callia appears to be startled, but I think she's calmed down a little since the scene she made at Tiger's place. She also seems to have sobered up a bit, probably the run with Lyke did that to her. Her golden hair seems to glow as the moonlight filters through it, Lyke stands to the right of her, ready to steady her if she falls.

"W-What's going on?" She asks, her words slightly slurred.

I share a look with Ashlyn, we've got to say something to Callia, even if she only partially understands it in her inebriated state. She's got something to do with the sporadic storms that have been occurring recently.

I just hope she doesn't freak out.

I don't want to be struck by lightning tonight.

I quickly glance at Emma, Laura and Andrew before crossing the clearing to reach Callia and Lyke.

Andrew catches my gaze, and stares straight back at me, he seems baffled. It probably wasn't a good idea to bring him tonight.

"Calm down Callia, everything is fine. How are you feeling?" I ask her, trying to keep the tone of my voice even.

She clutches onto Lyke's arm, and leans into his body, steadying herself.

"I'm fine..." She mumbles, yawning as she finishes her sentence.

I sense someone's presence behind me, and notice Laura has come to stand next to me.

"She's going to pass out Amber." She whispers to me, "I don't think anything we say tonight will register. I think she needs a good sleep."

I sigh, and watch as Callia's eyelids begin to flutter.

"How's she feeling?" I ask Laura, suddenly grateful for her abilities.

She waits for a few seconds before replying, her green eyes deep, brooding, "She's just extremely confused. She hardly remembers the run with Lyke. One minute she was at the party, and the next, she's here. She'll have a nasty hangover tomorrow."

I nod, "That's rough."

When I glance back at Callia she's fallen asleep in Lyke's arms.

He chuckles softly, "Well, so much for figuring anything out with this one."

Emma giggles a little, "Ah, oh well. You win some, you lose some. I'm sure we'll be able to get through to her in the morning."

Lyke looks over at Laura, "Hey! Nice to have you a part of the team."