Chapter 4 - Dream Or Reality?

Chapter 4

"Amber, honey. How are you feeling?" I hear my mother ask as she enters my room.

I open my eyes and squint as the sun streams into my bedroom, before moaning slightly. "I'm OK."

My eyes focus on the room a bit more and I can see a concerned look across her face.

"Are you sure? You don't look so good...More pain killers perhaps? Your father is going to give you another check-up when he returns home."

I nod, sending a shot of pain through my head, "Owww, yeah, painkillers would be great. Thanks."

I've been bedridden ever since I returned home on Monday after the trip. It's now Wednesday.

I told my parents I'd caught a cold, but they haven't bought it. My father thinks there is a virus going around, one that causes severe headaches. All my parents can do is give me painkillers and let this run its course.

All I know is that this isn't a virus, and I think I caused it. I know I caused it.

I think back to the trip and the events that unfolded. Something happened back there, something weird.

My mother returns with a glass of water and some painkillers, which I quickly take, before leaning back against my pillows again and sighing.

"Honey, I've got lots of work to do, so I'll come and check on you in an hour. Unless your father returns before then. Rest will do you a world of good."

I grimace slightly in reply as I try to nod again, "Ok, thanks."

She gives me another sympathetic look before turning and strutting out of the room, already back on her phone to discuss a trial again.

I close my eyes and try to sleep once more, but the painkillers haven't started working yet and my head keeps pounding in a dull thud. This sucks so bad.

I groan and fumble around for my phone on the bedside table, picking it up and staring at the lock screens wallpaper. It's a photo our group took on Monday, Ashlyn and I are closest to the camera as she holds it away from us at arm's length, Lyke is laughing in the background at the pose Selina is doing while Marco and Luca are just on their phones in the back of the picture.

I chose the photo as my background because it was a perfect depiction of my group, and since they're the five classmates I was with when everything started to get weird.

My throbbing head seems to process these thoughts and I decide to open Facebook Messenger on my phone, maybe one of them is online, I think I sent a friend request to everyone in the group after I got back to school from the trip on Monday. Yes, I even sent one to Marco.

I quickly scroll through my list of friends to see if anyone is online, thankfully Ashlyn and Selina are.

I open a group message with the two of them.

Amber Hayes: Hey, are both you at school?

A few seconds later, both girls reply.

Selina Lilly: No, I'm dying in my bed and trying to get some online shopping done.

Ashlyn Darnell: Nah, I've got this killer headache, I swear, I'm going to die soon.

My brow furrows, that's weird, I thought since I was the one who picked up that spear the other day, I'd be the only one suffering the consequences - Or whatever this is. I remember my five group members getting sore heads at the same time I did, but I didn't think they'd get worse like me.