Chapter 20 - Took you long enough, Goddess...

Here's another update for you all!

I hope you enjoy it :)

- Andrea

Chapter 20.

"This is nice."

I sit across from Luca under a thousand twinkling lights at an alfresco restaurant on the waterfront of the Cobalt Isles. The water laps at the shore a few metres from us, as fancy yachts drift off in the distance, all hosting their own Friday night parties.

The restaurant is quite full, with lavishly dressed couples surrounding us, some ladies dripping in jewellery, others carrying their thousand dollar handbags. All of them make me feel completely underdressed, I guess I should have remembered that even a casual night out in this town...is not like your normal night out.

"You look lovely." Luca tells me, his deep voice cutting through my self-conscious thoughts.

"Thank you." I reply, looking up from my menu.

He locks eyes with me for a split second, before glancing back down at his menu and scanning his finger along the list of fabulous dishes.

"The Schiacciata sounds like a good idea for a starter."

I have zero clue what that is, so I just nod slowly, pretending that I do.

"What would you like to have for mains?" He asks.

I look back down at my own menu. Everything is written in perfectly looped cursive letters, the Messicana looks nice. It's got a selection of meats and mushrooms, capsicum and capers on it.

"Is the Messicana ok?" I ask.

"Yeah, I've had it before. You have good taste, Amber."

I close my menu and look away, feeling heat creeping up into my cheeks.

"So..." I start, "Why did you decide to take me here?"

He shrugs, "I thought it would be nice. No hard feelings about the other day, ok?"

"Sure."

Time passes, we order dinner and eat it, sipping red wine and talking about menial things, like school and how the Prom planning is going.

"This has been really fun so far." I tell Luca, well into my second glass of wine...or is it my third? I'm not entirely sure to be honest.

He flashes me his dazzling smile as the fairy lights twinkle above us, the moon shining down from its position in the night sky.

The restaurant is still busy, but everything around Luca and I has started to seem a bit blurry to me. I feel like it's just the two of us.

"Tell me a bit about yourself..." I find myself mumbling, running my finger around the rim of my glass.

I know that Luca is one of the most popular guys at school, he's a top sportsman and not too bad with academic things either. But apart from that, I don't know much about him at all.

"What would you like to know?" He asks, leaning forward.

My eyes flutter down to my glass as I reply.

"What are you afraid of?"

"The unknown."

My brow furrows, "As in...?"

"I don't know what's coming for us, Amber. I hate it when I don't know what's coming next, I guess I like to be in control of things."

"I understand."