Chapter 8 - Caught Off Guard

Chapter 8

"So....Are you going tonight?" Laura asks me, raising her perfectly shaped eyebrows as she looks at me across one of the wooden tables in the Paideia Collegiate courtyard.

I take a sip from my bottle of water, "Pardon?"

"To the biggest mid-term party of the year of course! It's thrown on the first Friday of the second semester, without fail, every year." Georgie explains, sharing an excited glance with Laura as she readjusts her long floral skirt.

I shake my head, "I have no idea what you're going on about."

Laura's posse begins to fill me in on the ins and outs of the social life of a Cobalt Isles' teen, and I try to take in as much as I can, whilst staying alert for any odd behaviour at the same time.

So far, Friday has been normal. Nothing odd happened in class, I got on with my work, and I managed to catch up in a few of my classes.

Finally.

Amber, Lyke, Emma and I met up just before lunch, under one of the weeping willows on campus to share information. But we all had a blank page, so we decided to split up, since we'd all shared numbers, with Ashlyn heading off to the track to hang out with some of the sportier girls, Lyke said he was going to see what Andrew and some of the other jocks were up to, and Emma had a school council meeting so she promised she'd keep an eye out. I ended up with Laura and her friends, who I don't mind in the slightest, but I find it hard to reflect their enthusiasm towards parties during discussions.

"You know Tiger Berwick, right?" Laura presses, and then shakes her head before I can reply. "Oh of course you don't, you're still pretty new here."

Um, ok Laura, I suppose that's true. I think to myself, as I wait for her to explain who this guy with such an odd name is.

Laura just chuckles, uncannily, like she's in on a joke, before speaking again, "Tiger is only the biggest party boy in school. His parents own one of the best mansions in this place, with a three-level infinity pool and amazing cocktail bar just to name a few wee side assets."

Tori, who's sitting next to Laura, takes a bite from her apple.

"Oh my gosh, the pool is amazing." She adds, sighing.

It sure sounds like it is. I think.

"Haha, of course it is silly!" Laura laughs, twirling a lock of her coffee toned hair around her index finger. "Anyway, his parents are both owners of some giant hotel company or something, so they're going away to this big event in Vegas this weekend at one of their main hotels, and they're leaving this afternoon, so Tiger has the place to himself, and all of his fellow classmates of course."

Callia, Laura's closest friend, furrows her brow, "How on earth do you know all of this. Tiger hasn't told anyone this yet. We haven't even gotten invites."

The four of us stare at the girl, as she fiddles with her signature padlock necklace.

"What?" Laura asks, her eyes widening.

Callia sighs, "Well, say something Laura! I know you love a good party, but how much snooping have you done to get all the info this time?"

"I haven't done any! Gee Callia, what's wrong with you?" She gapes, her coral lips forming a perfect O.

Callia rolls her dark grey eyes as her friend and gives her a pointed glare, "What's wrong with me?! Do you seriously want to have this argument?"

I begin to grow nervous, and quietly continue to eat with Georgie and Tori. I don't want to get in between these to.