Chapter 31 - Vengeance

Hey guys! I hope you all enjoy two chapters in one day! - Also, I will be posting another exciting update in a couple of minutes! So keep an eye out for that :)

Don't forget to vote and comment if you're enjoying the end of the novel! Probably only four or five chapters left!! Eek :O

- Andrea

Chapter 31.

Ashlyn's P.O.V.

It's like someone cut a thread within me. The murderous one that had filled my brain, consuming my thoughts, filling me with an insatiable craving for death, to kill everything in my way.

Tartarus faded away and my mind faded with it, while I was busy attacking the hydra, something had happened, something huge.

"Ashlyn? Thank god you're safe!"

My eyes flicker open and I see the tall silhouette of my step-brother standing over me in the moonlight. He crouches down and wraps his arms around me, an unusual display of affection from him.

He's back in his suit...well, what's left of it. He seems to have lost his jacket and his shirt and pants are ruffled and caked in dirt.

I look down and notice that I'm wearing my prom dress again, although it's been ripped and torn at the edges.

"Andrew, it's good to see you again." I sigh, hugging him back. The two of us aren't usually like this with each other, but after what we've both been through, it's so good to see him again.

He helps me up and I take in my surroundings.

We're standing at the entrance to a cave, one that I've never seen before, despite living in the Cobalt Isles my entire life. We're high up, and can see the whole town and residential area from the grassy overlook we've found ourselves upon. In the distance, I can make out the Athenian temple we went to on a class field trip months ago.

Where it all began.

Everyone is in different states of disarray. We're all dressed in our outfits from the prom, all of them looking quite different from the slick expensive pieces we wore hours earlier.

It feels like we were in the underworld for ages, but whatever time passed down there didn't make much of an impact up here.

Andrew checks his phone, "It's only midnight."

See? Not much time at all.

I rush over to help Laura and Callia up, and the three of us share a quick hug once we've brushed down our dresses.

"I don't know what happened back there." Callia sighs, "Everything was just red..."

"Thank goodness that compulsion is gone." Laura adds, repositioning the crown on her head that she won as prom queen. She pauses halfway through the movement, her body freezing up.

"Laura, everything alright?" I ask, waving my hand in front of her face until she snaps back into focus.

She doesn't say anything; The cool-headed prom queen only turns towards the cave entrance and watches as a figure appears from the darkness.

My hand reaches up to cover my mouth as I study the battered figure of my prom date recklessly step onto the grass, before stumbling a little. He's carrying something...no, someone.

NO!

He takes a deep breath and drops to his knees, looking like he's just lost the most important thing in his life. Lyke is suddenly a broken man.