Chapter 24 - Divine Chaos

Hey guys! This is a pretty long chapter, but there's a lot going on at this prom :) I hope you enjoy it!

I'm really enjoying updating this novel again! I hope you guys feel the same!

xo Andrea

Chapter 24.

A warm breeze hits me as I step into the Paideia Collegiate theatre.

Despite finishing up the decorations here a few hours earlier, I'm still in awe as I walk through the doors with my friends to gaze upon what the combined efforts of our committee have achieved.

I feel proud of our work.

The theatre is transformed, with huge columns and draping golden curtains billowing around the entrance, thousands of fairy lights dripping above our heads and over the tables, vines and ivy covering the walls, and a string quartet creating a harmonious atmosphere to enter to.

It's certainly a sight to behold. And while this is an event I have never thought I would enjoy, the glitz and glamour of the Cobalt Isles is certainly hard not to love right now.

To top it off, everyone looks like a celebrity tonight, dressed to the nines after being dropped off by their limo or sports car.

It's like something out of a dream.

I follow the group through the theatre and over to the table where we will be having dinner.

Asthore and Georgie excuse themselves and head off to mingle with some of Asthore's friends from the swimming club. Ashlyn drags Lyke away for a dance, and Andrew excuses himself to go and talk to the basketball coach.

Leaving Laura and I alone at the large circular table.

She stands up and takes the seat next to mine. Before grabbing a glass of sparkling grape juice and taking one long, slow sip.

She raises her eyebrows and stares at me as she does this.

I groan, "Go on, say something."

"I'm just disappointed, that's all."

My brow furrows, in what way is she disappointed? I mean, she could be disappointed that I wasn't honest with her, that I basically made out with Andrew for about five minutes before we decided to re-enter the kitchen, that I turned down Andrew in the first place...

"I'm disappointed that you attempted to ruin Ashlyn's handiwork so soon after she made you up! Thank goodness for setting spray, that's all I can say, alright?"

I sigh in relief.

"Laura!" I gasp, "I thought you were going to kill me when I got back into the kitchen earlier. It's extremely hard to conceal your thoughts after something like...that...happens..."

She sniggers a little, "I must admit, I'm a little peeved I've got to hang out with Andrew for the rest of the night after you guys had your 'moment'." She creates little quotation marks with her hands.

"Honestly, though." She asks, crossing her legs in her satin gown as the dulcet tunes of the string quartet fill the air, "What took you so long?"

I honestly don't know how to answer that.

"Ok, so you don't know. But did you enjoy it?" She asks.

Err.... Yes.

"And what about Lyke, and Luca? Are you over them yet, have you finally figured this out?"

Err.... Nope. Not at all. To be honest I would gladly kiss Luca again, and I've never kissed Lyke...But....

"You're a mess Amber. A complete and utter mess. What do I do with you now?"