Chapter 7 - Beginning To Put The Pieces Into Place

Chapter 7.

Lyke emerges from the shadows as dusk encloses on the forest. He's covered in a light sheen of sweat and dressed in his running gear, his nut-brown eyes glinting in the fading light. The cheeky smirk he usually wears has all but disappeared from his face.

Ashlyn and I share a look, neither of us speak.

Lyke rocks back on his heels, "Uh, sorry about that guys- "

Ashlyn's eyes widen, "How much of that did you hear? What are you doing here? Were you following us?"

Our hazel haired classmate looks startled by the questions and holds his hands out in some sort of surrender, "I only heard the last part of your conversation! And I wasn't exactly following you- "

"What do you mean by that?" I snap, interrupting him. He's a nice guy and all, but I don't know him too well, and we're alone in a darkening forest with him.

"I came to find you." He replies, his expression utterly serious.

"You did?" Ashlyn's brow furrows, the silver bow in her hands glinting in the moonlight.

He nods sheepishly, "Yeah, uh...I need to ask you guys something. And based on the snippet of conversation I just heard, I feel like I may get some answers."

I face palm myself, "Oh God, don't tell me you've started developing some kind of supernatural powers."

A small chuckle reverberates from Lyke's mouth, "Well, actually..."

Ashlyn cuts him off with a hysterical laugh, "This is actually freaking insane. What the hell?!"

I try to remain serious, although we're all just as dumbfounded as each other, "Lyke, what is it?"

He bites his lip, "I've always been one of the best runners in the school, but I went out for a run this afternoon and completely smashed my personal best. I don't think it's a coincidence either..."

"Right, that sounds exactly like what the two of us have been experiencing." I reply, "Ashlyn and I were just heading back to my place, shall we all go back and try and get our heads around what is actually happening to us? I'm sorry I sound so calm about this now, I feel quite distant from this whole situation to be honest!"

Lyke shrugs, "I can't think of anything better to do. I actually did a bit of my own research before I came to find you guys, so I think I have a few pieces of the puzzle."

"I just hope we can join all of the pieces together." I sigh, walking over to the tree that still has a bunch of arrows penetrating it. I yank them out and give them to Ashlyn to place back in her sheath.

The three of us begin to walk back to my car, the only light in the forest illuminating from our phones and the moon.

"So, how did you find us anyway?" Ashlyn asks, as the three of us walk side by side.

"I remembered where you lived from when Andrew and I walked back home with you the other day. So, I went there just in time to see the two of you sneaking out of the house and driving off." He explains, "Then I kind of just...ran after you, not super-fast though, otherwise people would've noticed."

"Wow." I mutter, "You must be fast."

Lyke shrugs, "Suppose so."

"Ok." Ashlyn rubs her temples as we amble along the path, "This is all giving me a headache. The Cobalt Isles was a normal city until you showed up, Amber."

My eyes widen and I stare pointedly at the silver bow clasped in her left hand, "Hey! Don't start on me! As far as I know, the Cobalt Isles has never been normal, you two both have freakish powers too, and you've been living here your whole life!"