Chapter 32 - A City of Statues

Hey guys! Only a couple more chapters to go! (sob)

I hope you enjoy the chapter! 10+ votes would be awesome :) And don't forget to comment!

Also - if you haven't already (I've had some amazing submissions via comment and PM so far) don't forget to create a character for my next novel! If you have any questions - feel free to ask away!!!

- Andrea

Chapter 32.

Ashlyn's P.O.V.

"Are you sure you can do this?" I ask, following Lyke up the driveway to his house.

He nods, "Yeah, of course. I've got to do it, I've got to be strong."

"For her?"

"For her."

We're both so busy thinking about our plan that we make a serious error of judgement when opening the front door to Lyke's house, rather than sneaking in through the back entrance.

"Lyke? Is that you?"

We both freeze at the distinct chime of his mother's voice. Lyke's parents are probably two of the loveliest people you'll ever meet, they're also extremely caring and supportive of their son, so when they see the two of us like this...

"Shit..." Lyke mutters. We're trapped in the foyer, and there's only one way to Lyke's room now...through the lounge.

The two of us take a deep breath and walk into the crisp white living room, where Lyke's parents are watching Game of Thrones on their large television. They're sipping glasses of red wine on their leather couch, and when we walk into the centre of the room, Lyke's mum almost drops her glass against the marble floor.

"Oh my!" She gasps, placing her glass on the coffee table and rising from her seated position.

We've sacred the poor woman half to death looking like this. We're both covered in dirt and our shredded prom clothes, our hair is tangled and we both look like we've seen something terrifying.

Obviously, that's true. I've seen enough horrors to last me a lifetime over the past few hours.

"What the hell happened to the two of you?" Lyke's father asks, his voice booming across the living room as he joins his wife to stand before us.

"Dad, I can explain." Lyke starts.

I gulp and watch his parents carefully, I've known them since I was very young, so they both think of me as a daughter sometimes. I've never seen them like this before, they're usually so laid back, like their son.

"Are you both alright? What happened to you?!" His mother asks, her voice wavering slightly as she does so.

Lyke nods once, "Uh, yeah, we're fine. We just went for a walk after the prom and got a bit lost..."

Lyke's father crosses his arms over his chest, "Do you expect us to believe that, son?"

He sighs, "I don't think you'll believe me if I tell you the truth."

An idea springs forward in my mind and I try to make myself blush.

"Uh, we just got a little 'caught up', that's all..." I mumble.

Lyke's parents stare at me for a few long, torturous seconds, before they share a knowing look and their expressions relax a little.

I nudge Lyke and he quickly catches on to the kind of story I'm going with. I just want to make the situation awkward enough that we can excuse ourselves.