Chapter 5 - A Blessing...And A Curse

Chapter 5

Some cruel twist of fate decided that first period on Thursday would be classics.

After trying to find my locker again, grabbing my classics books and weaving in and out of students as I attempt not to get lost, I eventually find the classroom and stride in, trying to catch my breath.

"How nice of you to join us again, Miss Hayes!" A voice rings out as I enter the already full room.

I look up from my pile of books to see Mr Tanner and the rest of my class staring at me.

"Sorry. I just got lost." I hastily reply, giving my teacher an apologetic look, before heading over to the only empty desk in the room. Right beside Marco.

"Ok, now, let's begin todays lesson! Today we'll be looking at some important Greek Gods!" Mr Tanner continues to speak as I take a seat and place all my books on my desk, grabbing out my pad of refill and taking a few pens and highlighters out to use.

Mr Tanner begins to talk about why the Greeks had the Gods that they did, and I try to listen - from where I'm sitting right at the back of the room, when I get an idea and begin to scrawl a note to Marco.

Hey, have you been sick since Monday?

I quickly place it on his desk and wait for a reply. Hopefully he'll reply, I mean, it's not like this rebel without a cause does any schoolwork...right?

And at the same time, I'm still trying to listen to the teacher.

About a minute later, the paper is back on my desk, and I quickly open it to read Marco's reply.

Yeah, why? Did you have it too?

I hastily write, Yes, uh...how are you feeling now? Before passing the note back.

Mr Tanner is busy talking about Greek Temples again when the note reappears on my desk.

Fine, I suppose. Whatever you're thinking Amber, just forget about it, OK?

I glance over to Marco and roll my eyes, of course he can tell that something's on my mind, I don't think I'd bother talking to him otherwise and risking getting myself caught passing notes in class.

I give up, he's not going to help me figure anything out right now.

I shove the note in my jacket pocket and look up at the PowerPoint that Mr Tanner is now flicking through, listening to him blather on about the architecture of temples, until the subject changes back to Greek Gods and my ears pick up.

"Now, as you should all know well, the Greeks had a variety of different Gods, that took care of various aspects of life that were important to their people. There are also hundreds of different Gods, Demi-Gods, Muses and immortals, so I'm just going to give you a brief look at the main Greek Gods. The Twelve Gods of Olympus, and the inconsistencies that surround them."

I blink twice.

My mind snaps into focus.

That's it, I should've realised sooner! The twelve Gods of Olympus are the people my subconscious mind was trying to tell me to find last night. This is just insane.

But still, I remain focused on the PowerPoint as Mr Tanner flicks to the next slide and begins to talk.

"This is the Greek Goddess Athena."

I stare at a photo of an old painting someone has done of Athena that is on the slide. It's of a young woman, a book in one hand and a spear in the other, an owl on her shoulder.