Pete Imagine #9 First Time Flying

"Hello everyone, this is your captain speaking," a man's voice crackled through the plane's intercom. "We'll be taking off shortly, so please find your seats. Thank you for flying with American Airlines."

You nervously twirled a strand of hair between your finger and attempted to steady your breathing. This was your first time flying, and you weren't looking forward to it, especially not alone. Shifting your gaze to the window, your stared outside, hoping the people scurrying around would somehow calm your nerves.

"Hey," you heard a voice say from behind you. You shifted your body, so you were facing a man with black hair that hung in his face and dark brown eyes. He was wearing a black t-shirt and a pair of jeans. "I'm Pete."

"Hi," you smiled back. "I'm (Y/N). Are you sitting here?" You motioned to the seat next to the one you were sitting in.

"Yeah," he nodded, shoving his bag in the overhead compartment. Once he was finished, he plopped down next to you. "So, what are you going to Chicago for?"

"I'm moving," you explained. "My best friend from college and I are sharing an apartment."

"That's awesome. It's a great city," he grinned.

"What about you?"

"I live there. My band and I were meeting these guys who we're signing to my record label."

"Wow, that's amazing. What's your band name?"

"Fall Out Boy."

"Oh my God, I've heard some of your songs on the radio!"

"Yeah," he blushed. "I'm surprised you've heard of us. Sometimes I forget how big we've gotten," he let or a chuckle.

A flight attendant began the safety presentation, and you felt your heart began to sink. That meant the flight would be taking off soon. Your and Pete's conversation had stunted your fear temporarily, but now it was flooding back.

"Are you okay?" He asked, looking at you with concern plastered across his face.

"No," you shook your head. "This is my first time flying, and honestly, I'm terrified."

"Aw, it's going to be okay," he smiled. "I've flown millions of times, and trust me, it's not that bad. First things first, you're going to need this." He pulled a pack of gum out of his pocket and handed you a piece.

"Why?"

"Because your ears will pop. A lot. This helps."

"Oh, okay," you smiled, popping it into your mouth. Thanks."

"Sure! We'll be taking off any minute now, okay?"

"Alright," you nodded, and just like he said, the plane started to go up. You couldn't help but reach over and grab his hand, giving it a hard squeeze. "Sorry," you yanked it away once you realized what you had done.

"No, it's okay," he smiled, reaching over and taking it back.

You must have calmed down, because you managed to fall asleep, your fingers still interlocked with Pete's. When you woke up, your head was resting on his shoulder. You were almost positive your face was as red as a tomato.

"Good morning," he smiled when he realized you were awake.

"What time is it?" You asked.

"About three o'clock. You slept for most of the flight."

"Oh, wow. Sorry I wasn't better company."

"It's okay. Actually, I was thinking maybe I could give you my number. That way I could show you and your friend around the city, if you need it."

"Yeah, that'd be great!" You smiled, handing over tour phone. Maybe flying wasn't that bad after all.