Chapter 23: Time For A Visit

The look on Benoit's face when I said those words almost made me regret it; it was a mix of shock, hurt and sadness. "Why would you do that?" He asked in a small voice while looking at his hands. He seemed scared of my answer.

"I already told you why..." I said with a sigh before adding quickly. "And didn't you just say that you didn't mean for it to happen?"

"I did but it's not a reason to have an abortion! I would never behave like Casey, you know..." He said in a shaky voice while looking at me from the corner of his, now glossy, eyes.

I closed my eyes, feeling exhausted by the conversation. "I know that but this is not the point..."

"What is it then?! I-I really don't understand..." He murmured in a broken voice.

"Because it's probably better like that... This baby would only end up being hurt..." I said, trying to push my feelings away. "Why do you think I stopped seeing my mom and my sister?" I asked but continued to speak, not waiting or expecting an answer. "After losing Russell and Jamel, I knew that luck wasn't on my side so I stopped seeing them... It may sound stupid but I-I didn't want them to get hurt too... Every person I care about ends up getting hurt! I don't even know how you haven't been hurt yet..." I mumbled, taking my head into my hands to try to hide the tears that began to fall.

Instantly arms wrapped around me and I felt Benoit's hot breath near my ear, making me involuntary shiver. "Don't say that... You should accept the fact that it was an accident... It's not your fault that the car exploded; you couldn't have prevented it..." He whispered and I could feel his eyes on me.

I turned my head toward him, his face was closer than I expected. "I'm tired of seeing people I care about being hurt... I... Every day I wish I was the one who have died that day..."

"Don't say that..." He whispered as a few tears fell on his cheeks. "You know, I never thought my life would change so much after that night at the bar... But I'm glad it did. It's been a while since I met someone as interesting as you... What I'm trying to say is that I'm glad you didn't die that day..." He murmured while wiping his cheeks.

I stared at him in silence not really knowing what to say. He really changed my life even if he didn't necessarily know it. Before meeting him, I was a mess. I spent my time working, visiting my son and drinking. Everything changed when I met him though. I stopped drinking daily and began to eat full meals every day; I also began to smile more around him. He entered into my heart so quickly that it scared me a lot, more than I wanted to admit.

I watched the way his confused eyes were looking at me, probably wondering why I was staring at him like that. He was truly beautiful inside and out and I still had a hard time understanding why he was so interested in me. I wasn't special, far from it... I closed my eyes; I really needed to stop thinking so much especially in these situations. Maybe I should let my heart speak more often than my head...

I took his head into my hands and kissed him. It was a slow and tender kiss which sent shivers down my spine. When I pulled away, I rested my forehead against his and looked at the cute way his nose scrunched up in confusion. "Why did you do that?" He whispered, our lips almost touching again.

"Because I wanted to... Ever since what happened to me, I've tried to stay alone thinking that it would be the best. But everything changed when I met you... I, mmhh, I really like you..." I whispered back while trying not to break the eye contact.

He broke the eye contact as soon as he heard those words, a shy smile appearing on his face. Seeing him all shy wasn't a common thing but it made him super cute. I kissed his cheek before putting my head into his neck, hugging him. He smelled so good. He mumbled something against my neck but the sound was muffled making it impossible to understand.