Is Quran Outdated?

What we call modern society is only identified by the changes in technology, science, traditions, culture and the likes but if we ask the question how much has man changed from within?

Is there no discrimination in our modern world based on gender, ethnicity, race, caste, creed religion, color?

Are there no murders, rape, crimes happening in our "modern world"?

Is technological progress the only indication of intellectual progress as a species?

Have we been smart enough to take care of the world we live in with utmost care?

Have we been able to pull up the oppressed and underprivileged sections of our societies to a respectable and humane level?

Would you consider our "modern world" fit enough for our children to live in?

These questions are just the tip of the human problems iceberg.

The Quran wasn't sent to us so that we could make outer progress and then discard it. It was sent as a mercy for our innner self as a guide to a fulfilling life. So is it outdated? Well I don't see man has become any better then what he was eons ago.
As a society we are different today But Different doesn't necessarily mean Better. A muslim may live a hundred years and may still not be able to perfect the principles that God asked us to. It is sent as a guidance which cuts across time and space and not just to a particular section and period of a society.

And with the truth We have sent the Qur'an down, and with the truth it has descended. And We have not sent you, [O Muhammad], except as a bringer of good tidings and a warner. [17:105]

1.Qur'an has a timeless challenge. It challenges those who read it no matter when Qur'an was read to produce something better than the Qur'an. This is the most serious challenge to those who say the Qur'an is outdated or in doubt of its authenticity. The Qur'an challenges the linguists of our time to compose something in its style, eloquence and meaning in the Arabic language. It is also a book that not only been preserved in its content but the modes of recitation has been preserved so much so millions have committed it to memory. 

  "And if you are in doubt as to what We have revealed from time to time to Our servant, then produce a Sura like it; and call your witnesses or helpers (If there are any) besides God, if you are truthful."(Qur'an 2:23)

2.Qur'an timelessly changes people's way of life. Qur'an continues tochange people's lives no matter the time. Without the Qur'an being changed over time people are willing to alter their life just by reading one book, and people are able to practice what a book has taught 1400 years ago. It is the fastest growing religion and many testimonies have been made that Qur'an changed their life including priests, western ex-soldiers, scientists, comedians, former convicts, politicians, actors and many others. Islam is a way of life and people are attracted towards the teachings taught in the book no matter their profession. No matter the place or the time people are able to still practice the faith even today. 

"This [Qur'an] is a clear statement to [all] the people and a guidance and instruction for those conscious of Allah." (Qur'an 3:138)

3.Qur'an is timeless because it tackles modern day ailments. Qur'an tackles many modern day ailments of society including gambling, drinking alcohol (leads to death do vehicular accident, date rape, etc), loaning money on interest (modern day slavery and cause of much pain caused by not being able to payoff debt, causing the next generation to be in more debt), sexual promiscuity, inequality, suicide. This includes emotional ailments of greed, envy, evil thoughts, distress, sadness, feeling hopeless, loneliness, backbiting, boastfulness, spying on one another. Keep in mind that these issues are tackled from the root cause with profound statement of why it is harmful. There are to many examples of this in the Qur'an but one that stands out is the following verse. 

 "Righteousness is not that you turn your faces toward the east or the west, but [true] righteousness is [in] one who believes in Allah , the Last Day, the angels, the Book, and the prophets and gives wealth, in spite of love for it, to relatives, orphans, the needy, the traveler, those who ask [for help], and for freeing slaves; [and who] establishes prayer and gives zakah; [those who] fulfill their promise when they promise; and [those who] are patient in poverty and hardship and during battle. Those are the ones who have been true, and it is those who are the righteous."(Qur'an 2:177)

It is amazing how this verse starts with saying righteousness is not about physical rituals it is about believing and that belief causes individual to solve real world issues like poverty, especially your immediate family that may be in need.

4.Qur'an is timeless because it challenges modern civilization. It would make sense for the Qur'an only speak of religious rituals but it tackles modern civilization and surprisingly scenarios that last Prophet dealt with 1400 years ago all at the same time. This includes what to do during battle, who to wage war against, who not to wage war against, protect the places where God's name is mentioned including Churches and Synagogs, what to do with war booty. As well as topics related to family relations between husband and wife, divorce, what should both parties do during divorce, after divorce, how is inheritance allocated after a person dies. The list goes on and on and really is the modern day living challenge. As non-Muslims like George Bernard Shaw has said if the last Messenger, the walking Qur'an, "were alive today he will solve the world's issue over a cup of tea."End quote-------

"And [mention] the Day when We will resurrect among every nation a witness over them from themselves. And We will bring you, [O Muhammad], as a witness over your nation. And We have sent down to you the Book as clarification for all things and as guidance and mercy and good tidings for the Muslims."(Qur'an 16:89)

5.Qur'an is timeless because it also speaks in extreme detail life after death so it speaks about the future. With all that valuable content stated above the Day of Judgement, the future, is also mentioned at every page to warn those who are heedless to what really matters most and be aware of our end. Just this topic alone can be a book in itself so let me just emphasize one verse that shows people who are blind of the Qur'an and hearts locked no matter the evidence given to them. 

"And We have certainly created for Hell many of the jinn and mankind. They have hearts with which they do not understand, they have eyes with which they do not see, and they have ears with which they do not hear. Those are like livestock; rather, they are more astray. It is they who are the heedless." (Qur'an 7:179)"

Quran is sent for all human (هدى للناس), till the day of judgement.

Though certain teachings address few matters which vanished as the time passed. For example teachings of slavery is one of them. There are verses which addressed the rules to treat the slaves, which gave them significant status in society, e.g treating them equally, and choosing same for them what you choose for yourself. But as the slavery vanished in modern society, those summons became inapplicable. But they're there as summons/words of Allah. These summons/verse can be used to extract any law/direction by Ulema (knowledgeable persons) for future coming events and situations.

Quran being an ultimate source of Islamic wisdom, is considered the base of every rules and regulation for present time and the time which has yet to come.

If one thing is not openly declared in Quran, then Hadith (Muhammad's words, action and agreeness to any action done in front of him) is the reference for Islamic Laws. Any event which takes place and isn't covered already will be addressed by Ijtehad (Islamic Reasoning) by exploring the existing teachings in Quran, Hadith and Fiqh (expandation of Sharia through Ijtehad).