Status of the Quran

Status of the Qur'an

Posted By Arshul Mohammed

"O my Lord, indeed my people have taken this Qur'an as [a thing] abandoned."(Al-Furqān, 25:30)

In modern times, we have become wonted to living on our own; as if God does not exist. Many of us feel that religion is no longer apposite, books of religious teachings have been replaced by modern books of science and "progressive" thinking. The Qur'an - Is it relevant today? Or has it gone into the oblivions of the past as have many other books?

Allah says in the Qur'an:

And the Messenger has said, "O my Lord, indeed my people have taken this Qur'an as [a thing] abandoned."(Al-Furqān, 25:30)

How many of us would like that to happen on the Day of Judgement? He left behind the the word of God, the sempiternal miracle, the words of Allah between our hands, and we have simply left it on shelves to collect dust!

It is known as "al-Kitab" (the Book). It is so well known and highly admired that when any Muslim refers to "the Book," it is understood to mean the Qur'an. It is the book above all books because it is the complete and final revelation of Allah to mankind. It is the best of speech, the best of guidance, the book of wisdom, and it will remain immutable and protected until the Day of Judgement. Muslims of the present generation keep it inside beautiful covers and boxes and place it on the highest shelf of their house to signify its high status. Most of us begin the paramount ceremonies of our lives with its recitation, yet when it is recited, few listen to it carefully, few understand it, and still fewer are those who ponder its meanings and dedicate their life to its study. We would never keep away from the elements that are necessary for nourishing our body, yet we go for extended periods of time depriving ourselves from that which nourishes our heart and soul - the Qur'an.

Qur'an is the best of speech, the best of guidance, the book of wisdom, and it will remain immutable and protected until the Day of Judgement.

When a Muslim abandons the Qur'an continuously, his faith weakens, he disregards Allah commands, and forgets about Allah promise of the Hereafter. He desires the pleasures of this temporal life. It is the connection with Allah that gives our hearts life. Abandoning the Qur'an cleaves this connection and the heart becomes a dark oubliette; the grime of sins veils it, and no light of guidance enters it.

This ummah will always live in troubled times, as long as Shaytan is allowed to saunter among us. We are in desperate need of a shield to protect us from his attacks; if we're injured, then we desperately need a healer to cure us of our ailment. Allah mercy extends to his obedient servants, as He gave us our shield and healer in the form of Qur'an.

Allah says,

And We send down of the Qur'an that which is healing and mercy for the believers, but it does not increase the wrongdoers except in loss. (Al-'Isra', 17:82)

Our success and failure is not determined by any worldly measure, but, by whether we have gained Allah pleasure by remaining steadfast on Haqq (Justice). What then shall be our source of strength if it is not Allahs words?

Our success and failure is not determined by any worldly measure, but, by whether we have gained Allah's pleasure by remaining steadfast on Haqq.

When we are alone and afraid, it is Allahs words that will console us, despite our fear.

What we take with ourselves of the Qur'an into our trials is what will be our pillar of strength for us to lean on. Our trials will question us whether our efforts have been worth the consequence. It is Allahs words that will remind us of our prosperous deal; how we sold this life for a life much better in the next.

These words of Allah, the Qur'an will remind us of how Allah rewards the patient and how He is pleased with those who persevere in His way.

May Allah keep us steadfast on the righteous path and may He make us among those believers who not only read but live by the Qur'an. Ameen.

Author: Arshul Mohammed

Arshul Mohammad is an upcoming Da'i and author, who has his humble roots in India, and has been actively involved in a multitude of activities to promote Islām and peace. Following his academic pursuits (Holds a degree in Engineering), he aspired to do something better with his life, and had got a push from the Sūrah al-Ḍuḥā (The Morning Brightness), one of the chapters of the Mighty Qur'ān, which changed his common life and brought about a meaning. His words are inspired from the teachings of the Prophet (PBUH), and he writes in the name of the Lord, who created man from a clot. His interests pushed him to read and understand the beauty of the Qur'ān, and to let people know more about Islām. Often will you find him on the Streets of Delhi doing Street Dawah, reminding you of the true purpose of your life with the question "WHAT'S YOUR GOAL?". Slowly, he evolved and read books of the major religions of the world, and is trying to create an understanding between communities; this interest and research led him to author two books, "Jesus Preached Islam. Period." and "The Lost Brothers". Often in a discussion with him, you'd find him explaining the importance of the verses of the Qur'ān in the current global sphere. An avid blogger too, he reaches out across to people by writing about the Methodology of Dawah and religions and ethics. Arshul, derives his inspiration from Ustadh Hamza Andreas Tzortzis, who himself has devoted his life to the propagation and understanding of Islām.