Womens Status in Islam

1. The Value of Being Pious

[Hadith - Muslim, #3465]

'Abdullah b. 'Amr  reported Allah's Messenger pbuh as saying:  The whole world is a provision, and the best object of benefit of the world is the pious woman.

2. Advice for Men

[Hadith - Muslim, #3466]

The Prophet pbuh said:

"The best among you is the one who is the best towards his wife"

Abu Huraira reported Allah's Messenger pbuh as saying: Woman is like a rib.  When you attempt to straighten it, you would break it.  And if you leave her alone you would benefit by her, and crookedness will remain in her.

A hadith like this is reported by another chain of narrators.

[Hadith - Muslim, #3468]

Abu Huraira  reported Allah's Apostle pbuh as saying: He who believes in Allah and the Hereafter, if he witnesses any matter he should talk in good terms about it or keep quiet.  Act kindly towards woman, for woman is created from a rib, and the most crooked part of the rib is its top.  If you attempt to straighten it, you will break it, and if you leave it, its crookedness will remain there.  So act kindly towards women.

[Hadith - Muslim, #3469]

Abu Huraira  reported Allah's Messenger pbuh as saying: A believing man should not hate a believing woman; it he dislikes one of her characteristics, he will be pleased with another.

[Hadith - Sahih Al-Bukhari 7.117] Narrated 'Aisha, r.a.

........The eleventh one said, "My husband is Abu Zar and what is Abu Zar (i.e., what should I say about him)? He has given me many ornaments and my ears are heavily loaded with them and my arms have become fat (i.e., I have become fat). And he has pleased me, and I have become so happy that I feel proud of myself. He found me with my family who were mere owners of sheep and living in poverty, and brought me to a respected family having horses and camels and threshing and purifying grain. Whatever I say, he does not rebuke or insult me. When I sleep, I sleep till late in the morning, and when I drink water (or milk), I drink my fill."

....'Aisha then said: Allah's Apostle SAAWS said to me, "I am to you as Abu Zar was to his wife Um Zar."

3. Accusations Against a Chaste Woman

[The Noble Qur'an - An-Nur 24:23-24]

Verily, those who accuse chaste women, who never even think of anything touching their chastity and are good believers, are cursed in this life and in the Hereafter, and for them will be a great torment, --

On the Day when their tongues, their hands, and their legs or feet will bear witness against them as to what they used to do.

[Hadith - Bukhari 8:840]

Narrated Abu Huraira 

The Prophet pbuh said: "Avoid the seven great destructive sins."  They (the people) asked, "O Allah's Messenger!  What are they?"  He said,

"To join partners in worship with Allah,

to practise sorcery;

to kill the life which Allah has forbidden except for a just cause (according to Islamic law);

to eat up Riba' (usury);

to eat up the property of an orphan;

to show one's back to the enemy and fleeing from the battle-field at the time of fighting and