Chapter 1: Wicked Ones

Caddie's POV:

The beeping noise from my alarm clock echoed in my ear as I unsuccessfully tried to sleep in for a more minutes. Grabbing my pillow, I plopped it on top of my head and dreamt magic spells captured princes. The dream was so realistic, every vivid image that flashed before my mind looked real. Oh wait, I realized groggily, that's because it was real. The alarm clock continued to beep, and I felt my aggravation rise. My hand inches towards the clock and seconds later I heard it combust into flames. My eyes enlarged and I jumped out of bed.

Shit. This was the tenth alarm I've set on fire. I looked around my room helplessly waiting for a fire extinguisher to appear out of thin air. When nothing appeared I ran to the bathroom and grabbed a cup of water. Dad was totally going to kill me if he had to buy me another clock. I put out the fire and threw the clock out of my bedroom window.

A sigh escaped my lips, setting my clock on fire would probably be the climax of my day. My phone buzzed repeatedly, ten new messages appeared on my screen. I groaned and glanced at the messages, two seconds later I threw my phone off my bed and squealed happily. How did I forget? I had been looking forward to this day for three months. Today was the first day of the school year. I would finally return to Nox Haven Academy, the top school for supernatural creatures in the world.

I pulled my already packed suitcases out of the closet and grabbed an outfit to wear. My cheeks ached as I continued to smile widely. After three months in hell I was ecstatic to go back. I missed my friends, and the abnormal life style. When I first came home I felt very uncomfortable. Everything seemed so normal. I wanted to see a fairy fly down the street, or a witch performing a spell, instead I was greeted by the sight of soccer moms in their mini vans and teenagers playing on their electronic devices. 

After a few weeks I managed to adjust to my old life, but it never felt the same. I felt like an actress at times. It was surprisingly easy to act normal, now that I knew what I was and why I was different. My father had noticed almost immediately how I had changed. He seemed so happy that I was making 'progress', and even suggested that I go back to my old school. I rejected the offer and didn't think twice about my decision.

My dad tried to rebuild our relationship but his attempts were futile. He only wanted me back in his life because I was finally acting like the sane child he always wanted. A smirk came upon my lips as I thought about how disturbed he would be if he ever learned the truth.

I put on my Nox Haven sweatshirt and a pair of worn out jeans. After slipping my cell phone in my back pocket I picked up my cat, Ebony, and got ready to leave. Over the summer I mastered a few tricks, including teleportation. It's more efficient then driving or taking a plane. Also teleportation doesn't have any traffic, it's a dream come true for anybody with road rage.

I grabbed my suitcase and closed my eyes tightly. My bedroom began to slip away as I disappeared into the oblivion. A few minutes later I felt my feet touch solid ground again. I opened my eyes and glanced around Alix's bedroom. The room was large, and very girly, if I didn't know any better I wouldn't have thought that it was Alix's room. Normally a person's bedroom is an outward reflection of who that person is, but Alix's room didn't relate to her at all. Her mom decorated the room and as far as I know Alix is forbidden to ever change it without her mother's approval.

I wicked smirk danced on my mouth as I tiptoed towards her purple curtains. Alix was buried underneath her covers, quiet snores drifted from her lips. She looked so innocent, but that wouldn't last for long. I pulled back the curtains, letting the bright morning lift seep into her room.

"Mhmmm," she mumbled and then snuggled deeper into her blankets.

Sometimes I really envied her ability to sleep like the dead. Another thought crossed my mind as I slowly crept towards the edge of her bed. I bent towards her head, pushed her auburn hair away from her ear and screamed.