Chapter 9: DeJa Vu

Caddie's POV:

I sat on Alix's bed as I watched her toss and turn as she slept. It was nearly six o' clock now and she still hadn't snapped out of unconscious state. She grimaced as if she was feeling physical pain and writhed on the bed. I debated whether or no I should call the nurse, but before I could leave she started to talk.

"Caddie!" She practically screamed.

My head snapped over to her, I quickly checked for an injuries. I would do anything at the moment for Maddox's power. What are you thinking? I begged in my mind, and as if she heard my silent plea she began to babble senselessly.

"Go away! Leave! Save yourself, they are coming for you! They will take everything you love and then they will take you!" She shrieked and arched off of the bed.

I was horrified. She couldn't possibly mean that this was my future, could she? I briefly remember her prattling something about my soul being in danger before she passed out. I was so overcome by grief that I ignored her warning. I gripped her cold, limp hands in mine and begged for her to wake up.

"Please wake up. I'm scared, and sad, and broken. I don't know what to do, I'm trying to be strong but that's not who I am. I don't know who I am anymore!" I practically sobbed, "Please snap out of it."

She continued to convulse on the bed, spitting out nonsense. I slid off of her bed and paced around the room. Why couldn't the universe give me a break? I should have listened to Alix before I went into the cafeteria. Someone is coming after me, did she mean the Dark Ones? I felt sick, my stomach churned uneasily. I tugged on the end of my blond ponytail, twisting the strands of hair between my fingers. More people were going to die because of me, and I had no idea how to stop it. I slid to the floor and dropped my head into my hands. Loud sobs racked my body; I had wanted to come back to Nox Haven as a stronger person. It was impossible to be strong when the rest of the world was waiting for you to fall apart. Pounding on my door pulled me from my thoughts. I tried to calm myself down but the hysterical tears kept falling. The door was magically opened, I didn't look up from my position until I found myself cradled against a hard chest.

"D-Dmitri? What are you doing here," I managed to choke out in between sobs.

He stroked my hair rocked me soothingly as if I was a baby. Surprisingly, I found myself calming down.

"I was visiting a friend by your dorm when I heard loud sobs coming from your room. What's wrong Caddie?" He kept his voice calm but I could feel his worry, and something else that I couldn't detect. I pulled myself from his arms and gave him a guarded look. How could I trust him when he continually blocked his feelings from me?

"I'm just overwhelmed," I murmured and glanced back at Alix. I saw that she had stopped thrashing and had slipped into a peaceful slumber.

"I can imagine. Between the threat of the Dark Ones, Cameron's death and being the most feared witch in the world, you definitely have your plate full," said nonchalantly as if we were discussing the weather.

"He was once your friend as well," I pointed out, giving him a dark look.

Dmitri shrugged his shoulders and inspected his nails, "Well according to Cam we stopped being friends last year, when I had to pretend to be Aleksander. As far as I'm concerned my friendship with him was already dead so it doesn't hurt so much that he's dead as well. Some small part of me mourns for my old buddy but I have to be rational."

I was in denial that Cam could have don't that to Dmitri. He wasn't that kind of person. However, it did seem possible that Dmitri let the glory of pretending to be his brother consume and ended up pushing his friend away.