Chapter 17: Castle Bose

Recap:

That wasn't completely true, but I preferred if my new friend didn't know who I was. I didn't want anyone else to fear me or keep secrets. The old woman muttered word I didn't recognize under her breath. The iron gate screamed in protest as it swung open. The other side looked just dark as the cave. Goosebumps formed on my arms as a cold breeze washed over my skin. I didn't know whether the lava was more dangerous than what laid behind the gate.

"I guess it's my job to show you around then," she solemnly concluded, "Welcome to Castle Böse."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This was how idiots like me die before eighteen, I thought as I passed through the iron wrought gates. The old woman walked beside me as the scenery began to change. Ash covered cavern walls were replaced with greying wallpaper. Standing in a dark narrow hallway, I was reminded of a horror movie. Without any lights or sense of direction I would be stumbling around until I bumped into the killer. I nearly laughed out loud when I realized I was the Dark Witch, and I was afraid of the dark.

"Are the dust bunnies amusing you," the old woman crooned in a mocking tone.

I snapped out of my inner monologue. Looking to my side I expected to see the old woman but she was already walking down the dark hall. Fear crawled into my mind as I entertained the thought of being abandoned in the middle of a strange castle. I jogged over to the spot she had paused at. Without another word she pressed her hand against the the drab wallpaper. My eyes rounded when I saw a doorway appear out of thin air.

"We keep this area hidden so nobody stumbles upon Murphy," she informed me, "like I said before he prefers to eat his guests."

I found it hard to believe that the monster who saved my life could be so cruel, but I took her word for it. I clearly didn't know the dragon like she did. I followed her through the doorway into a much larger and busier corridor. Women in old fashioned maid uniforms pushed mental carts around which carried various sweet treats. We passed a man fixing his bow tie in a large golden mirror. Orders were being thrown around as if they were preparing for battle. As we made our through the busy hall the orders quieted and their movements stilled. They kept their eyes downcast as they whispered respectful greetings to me. The old woman gave me a curious glance before shrugging.

"I'm guessing you're an heir," she said as we descended a narrow wooden staircase. "Even though people in the Royal families are respected they never garner that type of response."

"You really have no idea who I am?" I asked cautiously.

"I stopped paying attention to politics years ago."

"When Nora died?" I interjected.

Her face grew solemn as she remembered my mother. A burning curiously raced through me as I wondered what kind of woman I came through. What kind of damning acts did she commit before I was born?

"Yes," her voice shook as she remembered my mom, "as I'm sure you know, many people hated Nora. They just never understood her. The poor girl only wanted to feel her own emotions. She didn't want to be a monster."

Her eyes glistened with tears as we reached the bottom of the stairs. "She was a very talented which. Nobody would ever be able to use black magic as efficiently as Nora did. But she didn't care about that, she wanted to be normal. To have emotions of her own, to experience love and pain without any outside influence. But as a Dark Witch she could never have that."

She took in a deep breath and continued on with the story, "She wanted to be like her little sister Heidi. Since Heidi wasn't the Dark Witch she could feel and preform normal magic. They always fought because Heidi wanted what Nora had and Nora wanted what Heidi had. It was a vicious cycle of trading insults and constant bickering. As Nora grew up she searched for ways to get rid of her powers, but there wasn't any. It made her bitter and hateful towards the world."