Chapter 15: Trust Nobody

Recap:

He pulled back and gave me one last peck on the lips. His continued to flicker like a lightbulb that was about to blow out. His lips moved from my mouth to my ear as he whispered, "I'll always love you." His body slipped away and I was thrown into a world of darkness before I could respond.

My eyes slowly opened to see unfamiliar surroundings and a pair of narrowed green eyes staring down at me.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Caddie POV:

I stared into a familiar pair of green eyes as loose tears trailed down the side of my face. Alix brought her hand to the side of my face and gingerly wiped the tears away. I would have told her that it was a lost cause because only more were coming, but I didn't trust my voice. Alix pulled me into a tight embrace as sobs escaped my mouth. The world can be a cruel and unfair place, I decided in that moment.

"Did you have a nightmare?" Alix asked quietly as she combed her finger through my hair.

"I guess you can call it that," I murmured into the crook of her neck, "but it was a beautiful nightmare."

Alix's fingers continued to massage my scalp as she let my words sink in. I knew she was a naturally curious person, it would only take seconds before she demanded to hear details about the dream. Normally I would comply and tell her every minuscule detail, but for some reason my gut was telling me otherwise.

"Do you want to talk about it?" She worded it like a question but I knew she wasn't looking an answer other than yes.

I pulled away from her warm embrace and played with the frayed edges on my gray comforter. My mind froze as I looked down at the blanket. My comforter was not gray, it was red. Panicking I quickly stumbled out of the large king sized bed and looked around at the new room.

"Cads calm down," Alix sat on the edge of the bed.

She was completely at ease. She wore a pair of black jeans and an oversized red elemental jersey. Her long auburn hair was twisted in a loose bun. A encouraging smile played on plump lips as she gestured for me to join her on the bed. I didn't want to sit down, I wanted an explanation.

"Where are we?" I asked cautiously.

The room I stood in looked nothing like my cosy but luxurious dorm room in Nox Haven. Instead I was in a nearly barren room. The only window was covered by heavy black drapes, leaving the room shrouded in darkness. The atmosphere felt cold and desolate, a shiver ran down my spine as I wondered what skeletons these people kept in their closets.

Alix gave me a calculating stare before she chose how to respond. "Caddie we were evacuated from Nox Haven, you fainted after Lady Bose returned your powers."

Memories of the event came crashing down on me. I remembered the fight with Aleksander, the Dark One, Heidi fighting with HeadMinister and most importantly the return of my powers. I took notice to the thrum of magic that traveled through my veins. I stared down at my palms in wonder and watched gleefully as heat surged to the surface.

The heat in my palm increased until a sphere of black fire hung above my hand. I stared in shock at my handiwork. Elemental witches were able to manipulate fire, but only dark witches could create it. The first dark witch had created many different types of fire, each varied in degree of heat. Black fire, sometimes called hellfire, defied all natural laws of heat. It burn its victims, instead it would incinerate them from existence. Heidi had once explained to me that it took the first Dark Witch many years of dedication and persistence to create the fire. Most Dark Witch's never possess enough power to create their own orb, and yet I had just created one by accident.