Chapter 18: War Zone

Recap:

I was never much of a religious person, but as I walked dutifully behind Kimone I couldn't but say a little prayer. Dear lord, please forgive me for the sins I have committed and the sins I will commit in the future. I'm not asking for you to spare my soul when the time comes, I just want you to make sure I have the strength to not be like her. I will try to protect my people and become the leader they deserve, but I can't promise I won't lose myself along the way. I'll try not to be a complete failure in the end. Amen. I focused on keeping my controlled mask on my face as we reached a new set of doors but nothing could have stopped the shock from appearing on my face as I walked into a war-zone.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Caddie's POV:

Terror seeped from everyone in the room. I could feel my own feelings being affected by their fear. Insults and pillows were being thrown around, as if that would fix any of our problems. The Victorian styled lounge had been torn apart in rage by my friends. A light purple love seat had been flipped over, one of them had managed to slit a large oak desk in half, while someone else tore the heavy drapery to shreds. I felt as if I had stumbled into Beast's room in the west wing instead of a simple lounge.

Ryder had gone blue in the face as he yelled at a hysterical Mira. Aleksander held Mira in his arms as he warded off Ryder's insults. Maddox and Alix were in a heated discussion. For the first time I saw a darker side come out of Maddox as he balled his hands in fists, trying not to hit my insufferable best friend. Alix's hand twitched and a lead paper weight flew into her hand, just as she was about to strike I decided to make my presence known.

One by one the lights blew out until the only light in the room came from the tall gothic Windows. Their voices slowly died out as they turned to stare at me. Their fear strengthened as they saw the scowl on my face. I could hardly believe they were acting like squabbling children when our entire species was faced with a dire situation. Curling my hands into fists, I tried to stop the black fire from forming. I was just as overwhelmed as they were, but I wasn't going to attack anyone. Yet.

"Can someone please explain to me why you are all fighting when the real bad guys have just burnt down our home!" I tried to stay calm but towards the end of my demand my facade began to slip.

Mira buried her head in Aleksander's shoulder in attempt to hide from intense gaze. I didn't miss how protectively he was holding her. Narrowing my eyes into slits, I gritted my teeth and tried not to attack her. A burning combination of jealousy and anger seared through me, but I refused to let it consume me. Aleksander's eyes hardened when he felt my emotions but he wisely decided not mention it. Ryder looked down at his shoes as a wave of shame crashed into him like a tidal wave. Kicking a black throw pillow, he muttered an apology and shoved his hands back into his pockets. Maddox moved over to Kimone's side, he rubbed her shoulders affectionately but never stopped glaring daggers at Alix. 

"Now that we've all calmed down," I spat, "Can someone please tell me what is going on here?"

Shouting began again as they all tried to justify their actions. Their voices melded together until I could no longer distinguish who was saying what. Glancing back at Kimone I tried to gain her support but she was just as overwhelmed as I was. Kimone kept her face buried in the crook of Maddox's neck as he held her in a intimate embrace. She tried to be strong, but her resolve was cracking as the others continued to argue. Releasing an exasperated sigh, I snapped my fingers and created a small black flame. No one saw me teleport to the side of the room, but I regained their undivided attention when the wall began to deteriorate under my touch. Alix quickly stumbled as far from me as she could get while the others gawked at my hand.