Chapter 13: The Abyss

Recap:

Heidi nodded curtly before returning to the HeadMinister, "I think it is best to return my niece her powers. Not only is she in danger but she's the only heir who is smart enough to realize that it is our job to protect the people."

When the HeadMinister said nothing she spoke to the rest of the royals. "I want every student sent home by the end of today. Once they are safely sanctioned at their homes I will transport the royals to a safe house," she articulated, "only the children will leave. Once they're safe we will find the Dark Ones and eliminate the threat. Now go wake the children up."

No one moved. They stood in place, some sent worried glances to the two people on the floor. Others waited for the HeadMinister's approval.

"Must I repeat myself!" Heidi roared.

The adults scrambled out of the room. They tripped over each other, as they scrambled down the hall. Heidi released Mira and her father. I muffled a snicker behind my hand as I watched them try to move their numb bodies.

Heidi beckoned me over. Walking towards her I paused only to see if she was still angry. She met me halfway, and placed her hands on either side of my face. Before I could say anything, she clutched my temples and the world around me disappeared.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unknown POV:

The putrid of rotting corpses and gushing blood assaulted my senses as I made my way onto the metal platform. Below me, stood 50,000 soldiers arranged in perfect rows. They wore masks on their faces arms hung by their sides, feet pressed firmly together. They wore black elemental resistant uniforms. The royal guard consisted of 35,000 elementals; the guard would be useless without their best magicians. A proud smirk tugged on my lips as I imagined my forces destroying the Royal Guard.

In my mind they would burn Nox Haven to the ground, slaughtering every supernatural creature. Then, just as they try to attack zolotse, I would appear and save her from the 'bad guys'. Caddie would shower me in kisses and call me her hero. A shiver ran up my spine as I entertained that thought. Oh how I long to be hero hero, kotyonok.

I looked at the broken skylight, the moon was playing peekaboo with the clouds. Several wishing stars lit up the sky, and even though it's childish, I couldn't stop myself from making a wish. I wished for my chance to be the star in the night sky. My knuckles turned white as I gripped the petal railing of the platform. I clenched my eyes tightly, focusing all of my energy into my wish. When I was a child my mother would tell me that a wish was only a spoken dream. If I wanted to make it come true I had to work for it.

"General, is it time move out?" A bold voice speaks from behind me.

I lick my dry bottom lip as I'm pulled back into reality. Turning around I face a uniform dressed soldier. Judging by the baby fat on his cheeks he couldn't be older than thirteen. Moments like this I questioned the morals in this operation. Master had said to ignore your conscience in battle, but I found it was tough to watch children disappear and never return. The boy that stood in front of me looked weak, I sighed sadly, he wouldn't make it through the night. Before my conscience could guilt trip me into saving the boy's life I composed myself and gave him a curt nod.

"Yes, notify the lieutenants of divisions eight and twelve. They will be the first to attack," I ordered.

I waited for the boy to carry out my order. To my extreme displeasure he stood rooted in the same place, with a horrified expression on his face. Blood drained from his face as sparkling tears pooled in his eyes. He bit his lip in hope to hold back the sob that was threatening to rise. A sneer twisted my features as I looked at the weakling.