Chapter 7: Opening Old Scars

Caddie's POV:

I sat in my class, Spells and Enchantments, with a bored expression on my face. My teacher, Miss Crawford,  stumbled around the room- mumbling nonsense. Alix sat beside me, tentatively shooting me worried glances. Unlike the rest of the class she said wasn't afraid of me, she was just worried about my wellbeing. Like an overprotective mother hen. A small sigh escaped my lips; even though I should be mad her, I couldn't. Everything she does benefits me, even when we're supposed to mad with each other she still worries about me.

I pulled out a blank sheet of notebook paper and wrote, I'm fine. You don't need to worry. Alix intercepted my note and gave me an innocent look. She scribbled something on the page and passed it back to me. I unfolded the paper and read, I don't know what you're talking about. I'm not worrying. I held back a laugh and wrote, I have empathetic powers. You can't lie to me about that. She blushed once she read the note and quickly jotted down her response.

Caddie,
You can't tell me not to worry when two hours ago you cursed a girl for simply questioning your status. You spent more than half of last year trying to forget that you were the Dark Witch's heir and now you're trying to defend your honor? Now the whole school is terrified of you, and I'm scared as well but not for the same reason. I'm scared that something bad is happening, and I'm scared that I'm losing you.

My heart winced as I read her note. I tried to deny the fact that her words were true, but on some level I understood what she was saying. What I did to that girl was totally out of character for me, and even though my inner demon was satisfied- I was just as scared as the rest of the students. I stared at my palms, they looked normal. Just like every other teenage girl's hands, but underneath the skin a dark power simmered in my bones. I shivered at the memory of how it felt to use my power, it was thrilling and terrifying.

"Miss Jones! Miss Slade! What can possibly be more important than my lesson!" Miss Crawford snapped, her skinny crescent shaped glasses slid down bridge of her nose as she glowered at us.

Anything, I grumbled in my mind. She tapped her chubby little foot impatiently as she waited for one of us to respond to her. I stealthily handed Alix notebook paper and waited for her to speak. Alix gave the old woman a sweet smile and said, "What do you mean Miss Crawford? I was just telling Caddie how you are one of the most respected witch's in our society."

I nodded eagerly and looked away from the teacher's intense gaze, "Yes, um that's right. I'm still pretty new to this whole witch thing." A few of the students started to whisper in huddled groups. From the way they looked at me I knew I was the subject of their discussion. Miss Crawford clacked her tongue against the roof of her mouth before returning her attention to Alix.

"What's that in your hand," she drawled, narrowing her eyes into slits.

Alix opened both of hands with a small smirk on her face. The paper had vanished into thin air. "There's nothing in my hand Miss Crawford," she said with false kindness voice.

Miss Crawford grimaced at Alix's antics, she was about to question her further when a scream echoed through the halls. Students jumped onto their feet as the raced to see what happened. Alix and I shared a quick look before sprinting behind them. We all filed into the hallway, and peered over the railing. Two stories below us, a cook ran through the halls. Her face was white, her eyes were wide with horror and her mouth hung agape.

Every classroom door opened when she screamed again. The assortment of emotions made my head dizzy; some people were scared, others were confused but many of the students were amused. They thought the woman had gone crazy, but that was only because they couldn't feel the fear that seized her. I pushed away from the railing and ran down the stairs. Alix and most of the administrators followed behind me. A hand snaked around my wrist and pulled me back before I reached the woman. I fell back onto Alix chest and glared at her.